Author Topic: Ported barrel or heavy barrel?  (Read 414 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Ported barrel or heavy barrel?
« on: November 10, 2004, 01:13:43 AM »
I've had my eyes on a Ultra Slugger, with the rifled heavy barrel and scope mount for deer hunting. However, I noticed that Rossi has a simular shotgun, but the barrel is ported instead of heavy.

Could barrel porting offset the weight of a heavy barrel, for recoil reduction?

Your experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 04:24:15 AM »
Porting does help but not as much as a heavier barrel.  Not only that but you can double the amount of sound.  I have sworn off ported firearms before I lose all of my hearing.  I have the 20 guage ultra and it kicks less than my 30-06 and way way way less than the 870.
I must be crazy.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 06:27:16 AM »
I don't like ported barrels because of the noise level.  A heavy barrel and a good recoil pad is much better imo. I like the Rossi guns as kno0ck about guns although I have no experience with their ported barrel slug guns. But , again in my opinion, the ultra slugger is a much better gun.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 02:34:00 PM »
You can always get the Ultra Slug ported at Magnaport and have both, if you don't mind the noise issue. Personally, I'm wearing hearing protection at the range, and its just one shot when hunting, so the noise is a non issue for me. I can't say enough good things about my Ultra though, and I highly recommend them. Mine is 12ga, but many here prefer the 20ga.

Another good thing to consider is getting a "dead mule" for the buttstock. I have one in my Tracker II (very light gun at 6.5lbs with scope) and it helps considerably, along with a really thick slip on recoil pad.

http://www.mercuryrecoil.com

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 07:33:37 PM »
Thank you for the informative replies, gentlemen!

I was "leaning" toward the Ultra Slugger, but thought I'd ask around to see if I was missing something. I know a couple of different hunters that own one and sing its' praises for accuracy and long range knockdown power.

I'll try to get out to my local gun dealer, this week and do a little price shopping. I'm thinking that I can get one of these shotguns and scope for less than $250. We'll see....

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein