Author Topic: Remington XP-100???  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Remington XP-100???
« on: September 30, 2004, 01:49:28 PM »
Anybody know the stats on this particular single shot pistol?  I've looked everywhere on the web and can't find much on it.  I don't keep in touch with gun news very often, but my speculation is that it is a discontinued breed.  Is that true?  Thanks in advance.  Patriot
-Patriot

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Remington XP-100???
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 05:56:57 AM »
The XP-100 was a revolutionary concept when it was introduced, if I remember right that was back in the 60's.  It originally came with a ray-gun looking Zytel stock, as a single-shot.  Later models were repeaters, but there were eventually a lot of imitators, and some still sell, like the Savage Striker.  Calibers ranged from the initial offering of the 221 Fireball (a shortened 223 case) up to 6mm and 7mm Bench Rest, as well as 35 Remington, plus dozens of wildcat chamberings and custom jobs.  The current Remingon Model Seven still uses the same basic action today.  I never owned one, but shot a few, and the accuracy was absolutely incredible.  I watched one guy shooting aspirin tablets at 100 yards, and he didn't miss very often.  It was one of the reasons handgun hunting is as popular today as it is!

Class dismissed.  :wink:

Professor Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Drilling Man

Remington XP-100???
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 09:27:22 AM »
It was a big deal where i lived, to take an XP, and turn it into a bench rest rifle.  Guys liked the action, because it was short, and single shot!!!  That means very STIFF!

I've owned and shot them a lot, it's true, they sure shot well.

Drilling Man

Offline Oldoperator

Remington XP-100???
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 07:22:36 PM »
I bought one several years ago from a friend that had used his for silhouette shooting. The XP-100 that I now own, is in 7mm BR and it is incredibly accurate. It came with a nylon stock that is very functional, but as ugly as a red headed step child. I had planed to replace it with some custom wood, but never got around to it. Remington may still make them in their custom shop, but I know that they aren't a production piece any more. Mine didn't have a safety when I bought it (and still doesn't ) because it impaired the fine tuning of the trigger, it is now in the 7 oz. range. I can't find a replacement safety for it at this time, but I will eventually. Gun Parts or someone will eventually find or make one. Sorry I don't have a picture for you. There was some theory that a XP-100 was used in the JFK assassination, but I'm not sure what it was now, it's been a long time.
NRA Life Member since 1971.

Offline xp-600

xp-100
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 02:49:01 PM »
Ow the xp's are the best guns made by remigton along with the rem 600,660
If you have any for sale drop me a line im always looking to add to my collection i have a few the best is my 1st fireball it weres a weaver 2.5x8 scope and a fajen stock then my 2nd is my varminter in 223 it also has a fajen stock awsom guns  :-) [/url]

Offline J.Solo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Remington XP-100???
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 04:44:07 AM »
To:  XP-600

I've been a fan of the model 600/660/XP-100 since they came out. I've had XP-100's rechambered to 6mm-TCY & 7mm IHMSA. I owned and sole a 600 in 6mm and a 660 in .308. I currently have only one 660 and it is in .243.

My gun shop took an XP-100 in on trade and the gun is now back to Remington for the original trigger inspection and letter stamp on the side of the trigger. The gun is the original XP in .221 fireball with the original stock and top rib. Gun looks new. No wear at all. No box or papers. I already have the .221 dies and about 100 rounds of empty .221 brass for from a past conversion from .221 to 6.5mm TCU.

There's not much interest in my area for a .221 Bolt Gun and this is not the right season to get a quick sale for this round.

So........... what would be a fair price to offer for this gun?

Thanks - J.Solo

Offline singleshotfan

remington link
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 06:02:43 AM »
History of XP-100 Follow the link below.

http://www.remington.com/aboutus/history/mxp100.htm

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
Remington XP-100???
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 06:23:13 PM »
Any reason why they're discontinued?  Beautiful SSP, and didn't seem to be due to low sales; was in production for just over 30yrs.  Same thing with Magnum Research's "Lone Eagle", which they recently discontinued.  What happened?  Is T/C takin' over or what? :?    Patriot
-Patriot