Author Topic: Puch lip  (Read 435 times)

Offline volshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Puch lip
« on: November 07, 2004, 12:12:02 PM »
I've been shooting my SBH (290gr WFP, 21.5gr 296) all year with very fine results. Now that hunting season is here I went back to practicing up close. I had the taller front sight installed as soon as I got it, becasue it was necessary. I score at ranges below 20 yards and over 100 yards. Mid range is LOW. The load I'm using is the same load I've used for 4years but this is the first year for midrange low shots. Sure I can put a white stripe on my front sight to correct for short range. Could it be that I'm gripping it tighter than before? Wrist stronger this year? This load will produce fairly good groups at 5 gallon sized rocks between 200-250 yards. I don't plan on shooting at any deer at that range, just summer fun. I'm shooting better this year than ever before but cannot account for the midrange low shots. Suggestions??

Rick :(

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Puch lip
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 12:58:12 PM »
A bullets trajectory will cross the sight plane in two spots. If I comprehend your post correctly these two spots are ~20 yards and ~100yards and you are refereeing to mid-range from 20-100. Since the bullet actually travels in a rainbow type trajectory the only explanation for low shots between 20 and 100 will be your sight picture. The bullet isn’t going to bow upwards as it travels through its flight pattern and your grip should be the same rather you are shooting at 20, 30, 80 etc.

The only thing I can figure is the allusion of your target in reference to your sights are not how they appear. Light conditions can affect this as well as the distance between your eyes and the sights and also the distance your eyes are above the gun. For example, do you ever bend your neck to look down your sights or do you raise your gun up to eye level and are you consistent in doing so? The same goes with how far you hold the gun in front of you…do you shoot with locked elbows sometimes and sometimes do you bend your elbows…

With a Point of Aim at 20 and 100 yards you should be shooting high in between those distances and not low.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline volshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Puch lip
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 04:16:32 PM »
Naw I shoot with my right arm locked straight and left supporting the pistol. I've always shot this way with big bores. I developed that load years ago at ranges below 25 yards....looking for the best group. Last few years I've had good sucess at all ranges with this combo. It was only this year when I started shooting at ranges over 150 yards that mid range went south. I started shooting at 200+ yards for fun. I was pleased and surpised to find out that I could hit a 5 gallon size target out as far as 300 yards.  Now I'm not a spring chicken but I have increased arm/wrist strength greatly. (dang I got the grip of a 20 year old again!) I've shot in all light and can smoke running rats with boring regularity (44 Speer caps and #4 shot) I need more input please. I am more comfortable this year (Hogue oversize gripes) than ever before. I really wanted to leave the 25-06 home this year , and go it revolver alone. I shot my .454 quite a bit this year and I'm not that sensitive to recoil. I also shoot 12 Ga. slugs by the case. I stumped. I will admit I used to shoot with a more recoil friendly grip before but long range requires a steady frim grip. Cats, any and all advice is needed as I will be out in the feild on the 20th and I've lost my midrange. I will have to put a white stripe 1/3 of the way down on the front sight to compensate midrange. Still I gotta know.

theories, guesses, anything welcome

Rick