Author Topic: Nikon vs. Olympus binos  (Read 400 times)

Offline forge

• Trade Count: (0)
Nikon vs. Olympus binos
« on: October 31, 2004, 09:29:40 AM »
After much research, I was all set to buy a set of Nikon Monarch 8x42 binos.  While I was on vacation, I stopped off at a store and the salesman was pushing the Olympus Magellan 8x42 binos.  He didn't sell Nikons, so I couldn't compare them side-by-side.  I was also in a rush, so I didn't get a chance to really look at them.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.  Should I stick with the Nikons, or are the Olympus binos just as good?  Olympus is cheaper, especially with their rebate going on right now.  

While I would like to save money, the bottom line is that I would like to have the better product.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline shott

• Trade Count: (4)
Nikon vs. Olympus binos
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 03:37:09 AM »
Not sure on the Olympus Magellan , but I recently bought a pair of the Camo Nikon Monarch 8 X 42's and am VERY pleased with them, VERY clear and GREAT light gathering. No problems seeing well before and well after sunrise or sunset. Just my .2 cents.

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
Nikon vs. Olympus binos
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 04:23:43 AM »
You should really try to see them side by side.  I didn't see a lot of difference.  But the Nikon No Fault Repair/Replacement warranty might be worth the extra $.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Nikon vs. Olympus binos
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 05:29:42 PM »
Once you pass a price-quality threshold, there's no such thing as a bad binocular.

If you are unable to compare them, be sure to use each binocular, preferably near dusk, for at least 30 minutes of looking at several different objects. If there is a problem with alignment or parallax, or anything pertaining to assembly, it should show itself to you as a headache.

If it makes a difference, I would invest as much money as I could in the best quality available because 95 percent of the time you're hunting, you're looking through binoculars -- in the West, anyway. You're making a once per lifetime purchase -- or you should be.

I use Zeiss 8 x 30 B/GA IF Olive binocular with F2 rangefinder reticle. They weigh 25 ounces, including strap, ocular and objective lens protectors, and snow filters.

Size and weight become important as you go higher, as you get older.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell