Author Topic: I found him.  (Read 429 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I found him.
« on: November 09, 2004, 09:25:20 AM »
I found the buck. he was probably 120 yds from where I shot him. I must have looked right at him but I could not see him.  He was a nice 8-point.  I feel better that I found him but the meat was bad.  Thanks for your help, oktx.

Offline Mohawk

I found him.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 10:13:19 AM »
Glad to hear ya' found him. Next time put that 180gr. '06 through the shoulder. He shouldn't run then.

Offline JPSaxMan

I found him.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 12:16:39 PM »
Well, at least ya got some money for the taxidermist  :)  :-D . Great to hear you found your trophy. Take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline NYH1

I found him.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 12:17:10 PM »
Quote from: Mohawk
Next time put that 180gr. '06 through the shoulder. He shouldn't run then.

Thats my way of thinking too.

However I would use 150 gr. bullets instead of the 180 gr bullets. I use Remington 150 gr. Pointed Soft Point Core Lokt in my 308 Win. They fall where they were standing when hit in the shoulder. I've never had a deer run over 45 yards when hit in the heart/lung area. A good friend of mine use to use Remington 180 gr. Soft Point Core Lokt in his 30-06. He would complain that he wasn't getting enough bullet expansion and his deer were running to far after being shot. I suggested to him to try the 150 gr. Pointed Soft Point Core lokt. He did and thats all he uses now.  

The lighter 150 gr. bullets will start to expand sooner then the heavier 180 gr. bullets will. Thats what you want for deer. You want the bullet the expand and transfer it's energy ASAP. On black bear and wild boar you would want a little more penetration so you might go with the 180 gr. Just something to think about!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"