Author Topic: .410 useful?  (Read 977 times)

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
.410 useful?
« on: November 07, 2004, 07:25:54 AM »
Guys, I am being tempted by the old first love -- which was my granddad's Iver Johnson .410. I can get an NEF for $89, but I am really wondering just what use I would have for a full-choked .410. What do you all use yours for? Anyone open up the choke a bit? How? Are any of you reloading for this round?

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.410 useful?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 11:41:03 AM »
Bill, my wife has the versapack 410 which is the youth model, very short and very light. It obviously doesn't fit me, but its a fun little gun. I've used it on squirrels and rabbits with good results. It's definitely challenging. I can't tell much difference in the patterns between it and my Winchester 9410 which is a cylinder bore, so I don't think the choke should be an issue. These are definitely short range guns, and be prepared to miss a few here and there. Fun little gun though, especially when putting in a day following my beagles through thickets for miles.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.410 useful?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 01:03:07 PM »
HuntenNut is right on the money, these .410 H&R's are great guns to carry and can kill game cleanly if you do your part. I hope Scattergunner chimes in here because he has had much expierence (and luck) with these .410 H&R's, from coast to coast and north to south....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
.410 useful?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 07:38:35 PM »
Many years ago I had the 22mag 410 savage o/u. It accounted for many rabbits and squirrls. Like a dumb crap I had to trade it for something else I really dint need. The couple of rare times I have found one they want a small fortune for them. My wife has her moms old 22/410 that was passed on just before he mom passed away. Her mom said "with this gun you should never know hunger". I agree with her mom.

Gun Runner

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
.410 useful?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 12:40:06 AM »
I bought my Dad the versa-pac and if it's good for nothing else it got an old man out shooting after years of watching his guns collecting dust. I think it would be a good little gun for blastinthe occasional snake or close range varmit. Scattergunner uses a 410 quite a bit look for his posts on the subject.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
.410 useful?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 01:46:58 AM »
Around my parts the .410 is an excellent squirrel gun. Shots on these little red critters are hardly ever over 30 yds. in the big oaks and pecan trees we have here. It doesn't take a lot of pellets to knock one down and there isn't a lot of meat damage when ya do. But.....you do have to do your part....it isn't a 12 gauge.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.410 useful?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 02:04:05 AM »
BillinOregon, the .410 is a lot of fun. Why don't you just buy it and then look around here and get another barrel for it? That is what many of us here are doing now. We are selling and swapping barrels on a pretty regular basis. I know there is a nice 20 gauge barrel being offered for sale on this forum right now with shipping included, and pretty reasonably also....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
.410 useful?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 05:54:41 AM »
I hunt alot with my NEF .410 and I have killed many squirrels with my NEF.  If you do your part it will do its part.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
.410 useful?
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 07:07:44 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I have been doing some reading on the Net  -- there's a great .410 resource site in the UK -- and it seems the .410 might be more useful than I had thought. Most interesting to me is that to finesse this gauge., it seems you want just the 2 1/2-inch shell with No. 8 or smaller shot and a fairly open choke for work on birds. The full choke would be best for "squills" though. No one seems to have much nice to say about the 3-inch shell. And it seems the new Winchester AAHS hulls and wads are the way to go for reloading.
Guess I better wander down to Wallace's place with the check book... :P

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
.410 useful?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 11:40:54 AM »
Reading the posts about Scattergunners adventures with his synthetic stocked 410 has had me thinking about picking up a 410 barrel if the price was right. I just got a little 20 for squills though. That uk site is interesting reading. I've looked at it before.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
.410 useful?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 03:28:23 PM »
Well, Wallace's World had just what I wanted, and a good price on Winchester AA shells, too. Took it to the range this afternoon, along with a .303 sporter, an 8mm Lebel Berthier and a 7X61 Sharp & Hart target rifle. It was a very nice break recoil-wise from the other three.  At 20 yards, it is shooting just a smidge high: If I aim at the bottom of the paper plate, the pattern center is just above the center of the plate. This is a good thing for squills running up the tree, but I will have to sort it out for bunny and bird work ...
Ah, what a pleasant chore.

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
LOADING 410 SLUGS?
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 01:57:28 AM »
BILL, if you load your own and are thinking about slugs in a 410, please have a look at my earlier post on the topic at:  http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=44803

That link is to the Youth Hunting & Shooting Forum...

There's some neat hard cast bullet alternatives to regular swaged soft lead slugs that might give impressive results in 3" shells using heavy shot recipes.  

One in particular uses Alliant 2400 - and the same charge pushes a 180gr bullet from a  .357 Carbine to near 2,000fps!   Any guesses what it might do behind a slug in a 410 shell?  ;)

GOOD LUCK!   :D
The wicked flee where no man pursueth but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
.410 useful?
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 04:23:01 AM »
I use mine for small game (not a H&R but a rossi) squirrel mostly. my rossi .410 has uncountable numbers of squirrels under its belt.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots