Author Topic: Lessons learned see Bolt Action Weatherby 30-06 Elk Hunt.  (Read 601 times)

Offline dbuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lessons learned see Bolt Action Weatherby 30-06 Elk Hunt.
« on: November 09, 2004, 12:46:30 PM »
Want a few comments on scopes and rangefinders go to the bolt action section and look at my comments under Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 and my Colorado Elk Hunt.

You have to look at equipment under field conditions and not at the rifle range.

dbuck

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Lessons learned see Bolt Action Weatherby 3
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 01:21:34 PM »
Nice job on the elk!

I'm a little confused on the scope problem......Was the scope not bright enough, was the power to high and the FOV not big enough, was it to heavy?  What was the problem with it?

I don't have the 5.5x16, but I spent from sunset to complete darkness looking through a couple of scopes, one of which was a Monarch, and I was very impressed with it.  It's just a plain old 4x40.

Again, congratulations on the elk, and please post on the scope.

JCM

Offline dbuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 02:59:52 PM »
JCM, I don't know what the problem was, I had it set at 5.5 (5.5X16X44) and the objective set on 200 yards.  I had always shot with this scope during the regular day time hours at the range.  Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon Monarch scopes, but I feel I should have been using a 3X9 power scope and also I feel it was to heavy for me to run up and down those hills.

My understanding of scopes and I could be wrong, is that your scope (4X40) would have more light gathering then my scope.  Comments appreicate on this subject since I wouldn't want someone else making the same mistake that I did.  I guess I just don't understand scopes that well and what makes a great light gathering scope.

dbuck

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 06:54:12 PM »
Been telling you guys for years to leave those big varmint/target scopes home when you go big game hunting and use realisitic scopes for big game. At my house we use scopes from a 1.5-4 up to a 3-9. My new Wheatherby .257 Mag. does wear an Elite 4200 2.5-10 but you can bet it will see more use at powers below 6X than above except on the target range working up loads.

No one needs more scope than a 2.5-8 or 3-9 or the 2.5-10 depending on what's offer in the brand you select when hunting big game. Folks who do it say Coues deer hunting is different and I've not done it so won't argue I guess but I still believe a 2.5-10 would do any shooting I'd do on them.

A 40mm objective is plenty as long as you have quality glass and coatings too.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 05:00:52 AM »
I feel like a lot of 3x9 scopes are a bit heavy. My favorite hunting scopes are 2x7 and I don't need a huge objective lense either.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.