Author Topic: Which Mount and Rings to Use?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Sevcrist

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Mount and Rings to Use?
« on: November 23, 2004, 11:46:27 AM »
I'm looking for the most rock solid, reliable and simplest scope mounting system to put on a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle with a short action.  The scope is going to stay on the rifle so I don't have a need for a quick release type system.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Leupold Dual Dovetail mount with a one piece base and Leupold rings.  Does anyone have any other suggestions on what mount/ring system would meet my needs?  Maybe Talley or Warne?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 12:26:50 PM »
The only thing I can suggest that's an improvement over all other ring types is the Burris Signature rings, which are available in double dovetail. What more could a fella ask for, solid steel rings with polymer inserts that protect the scope from misalignment and the option of zeroing without touching the turret adjustment when the reticle is mechanically centered.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/rings.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 01:11:50 PM »
I would go with the Dual Dovetail for sure.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Sevcrist

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 04:05:14 PM »
quickdtoo,

I've looked at the Signature rings and they look like a good idea and I'm assuming they work fine.  My only problem with them is that Burris doesn't make them in low ring height.  Unless a Burris medium height ring is comparable to a Leupold low ring.  Why Burris doesn't make a low height Signature ring doesn't make sense to me.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 04:16:57 PM »
Burris Double Dove Tail bases and Signature rings. Jon has a set on the way to me rat now for my new R700 CDL in .35 Whelen. That's the only thing I use on my Remington 700s anymore.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 04:27:21 PM »
Quote from: Sevcrist
quickdtoo,

I've looked at the Signature rings and they look like a good idea and I'm assuming they work fine.  My only problem with them is that Burris doesn't make them in low ring height.  Unless a Burris medium height ring is comparable to a Leupold low ring.  Why Burris doesn't make a low height Signature ring doesn't make sense to me.

I know whatcha mean, I had the same problem with the 30mm Zee rings, lowest they come in is high, but fortunately it was on an H&R Ultra Varmint and I needed the height anyway to clear the power ring at the hammer. FWIW, their mediums aren't all that high. I like as low as possible, too!  :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 04:52:10 PM »
The current Burris MEDIUM ring is the same one they used to call LOW. It really is a pretty low ring and is the one you want if you use a standard 40MM objective scope and want it low to barrel.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sevcrist

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 04:29:01 AM »
What about the dual dovetail base?  Is a one piece base better than a two piece?