Author Topic: chokes for NEF  (Read 438 times)

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
chokes for NEF
« on: November 17, 2004, 09:17:51 AM »
NEF offers a few choices for chokes.  However, they do not offer a cylinder bore choke.  Does anyone offer chokes that will fit the NEF besides NEF?  I would like to get a smoothbore tube for slugs.  The Dixie slugs look like they would be interesting to try but they state that they should only be used in cylinder bore choked tubes.  I assume this is due to the hardness of the slug.

Also, do the shotgun barrels require a different forearm than the rifle barrels?  If so, will a shotgun barrel fit a rifle barrel?

Thanks,

Matt
Houston, Tx

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
chokes for NEF
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 11:11:56 AM »
fortress49, the NEF shotguns use the Winchoke system. Winchokes, Browning Invector (not Invector plus) and Mossberg chokes work on NEF shotguns. This info came from the FAQ's section of the centerfire rifle forum.

The only shotgun barrel I know that needs a separate fore-arm is the 20 gauge Ultra-Slug barrel (per an older accessory barrel program brochure).

Shotgun barrels will fit fine on a rifle receiver (sb-2) but the shotgun receivers won't work with the high pressures of a rifle barrel. 10 gauge barrels get their own receiver. MSP Ret has experience in fitting barrels to receivers, hopefully he'll chime in here as well.

Lot's of knowledgeable folks here to correct any mistakes I've made or add to what I've written.

Nixter