Author Topic: need help ASAP!  (Read 494 times)

Offline Countryboy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
need help ASAP!
« on: November 11, 2004, 06:59:46 PM »
Deer season is only 3 weeks away and I just got a major flinching problem after my scope on my muzzeloader hit me. :cry:   I have a simmons 8 point 3-9x40 and shoot 100 gr of pyrodex with 275gr powerbelts. Am I doing something wrong or do I need more eye relief? I have this same problem on my 30-06 same scope. Sometimes even my 243 with a 4-12x40 bushnell banner.  If I need 4 inches of relief for a 30-06 then what am I supposed to put on my 300WSM I just bought?

Thanks for all the help :wink:

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
need help ASAP!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 01:11:49 AM »
What shooting position are you in when you get hit by the scope?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
need help ASAP!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 07:19:29 AM »
There could be several problems. Either you are mounting your scope to far back or you need more eye relief or you are creeping up to close to your scope when shooting. I have Leupolds on my Rifles and never got hit from my scopes. I shoot .308, 30-06, 45-70, 300 Win Mag and 375H&H. They all wear Leupolds.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
need help ASAP!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 12:36:55 PM »
I agree with Redhawk1

The Simmons 8 point is listed as having an "Optimum" eye-relief of 3".  I'm sure if your just under that, lets say 2.75" you may still get a full view and not realize your that close. Being only 2.75" could easily cause a 100 grainer to pop you. I would suggest moving it forward, cheeking the gun in the same spot and seeing if you can still obtain a full view. If so, head to the range and try it again.

If that doesnt work try this:
http://www.muelleroptics.com/multi-shot.htm

MO

Offline Countryboy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
need help ASAP!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 04:48:48 AM »
I tried moving it foreward until I just started to get a black ring around my sight picture. Tried again still no good. I do this sitting with the gun rested but not secured. I won't even try prone anymore. Is it new scope time?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
need help ASAP!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 06:07:49 AM »
Is it new scope time?

Probably. Sounds like you're an inverterate stock crawler. Some folks are and they usually get banged from time to time. But if you're getting it even with light recoil guns you've got it bad. About the only cure is a really long eye relief. In this arena Leupold is king.

All scope makers have to make choices and compromises. They have to decide which leg of the optical triangle (eye relief - FOV - magnification) to emphasis and which to down play. In Leupold's case eye relief is what the emphasis. So with most of their scopes you'll find more eye relief at any given power range than with anyone ele's scopes. The big exception is their VX-III 1.5-6, for some reason this is not a long eye relief scope.

Considering your unique circumstance I'd suggest to you either the Leupold VX-III 1.75-5 or the VX-II 1-4. Both have super wide FOV and the longest eye relief available in rifle scopes. Anything under 4" is gonna get you from time to time and only by going over that to the 4.5" range are you going to be really safe with a heavy kicker. There are in my opinion better scopes but not longer eye relief scopes than those mentioned.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!