Author Topic: Some small talk...  (Read 533 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Some small talk...
« on: November 14, 2004, 05:21:47 AM »
Well, it's that time of year again. The rifle season here in PA is just 2 weeks away. Most of us are doing some ahead of time planning...like hanging stands and doing last minute scouting. Some of us are getting pumped. Others...well...who knows. What are you doing now in preperation for the season if anything at all? Maybe you don't need to do anything because your archery stands are the same as the stands you'll use in rifle...let's make some small talk. Thanx.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Some small talk...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 06:00:05 AM »
HELLO, fishman029
 Yes we are running out of time fast. I'm going to try to go to my hunting spot tomorrow (200 mile drive) to put out some cracked corn and some stump licker. I will also make sure my shooting lanes are clear and check all lumber in stands for safety.
I need one more range session too, just to make sure all my rifles and shotguns are tuned in and I will not clean them after this final firing. They will stay dirty until the end of firearm season. Maryland firearm season opens on 11/27 and runs for two weeks. Then we have two weeks of muzzle-loader. Then I will be participating in a managed shotgun gun only deer hunt in mid January!
It's finally here, this is what I live for fellas! GOOD LUCK TOO ALL AND BE SAFE.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
Some small talk...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 07:17:57 AM »
I can't believe you guys still have to wait 2 more weeks!

My hunting is pretty much done for the season.  It's kinds funny....I have spent MANY hours since June scouting and figuring out where to place my stands.  Many hours were also spent just sitting in the woods trying to figure out how many/how large the deer were in my area.

I sat in my home-made burlap blinds every weekend of bow season, and a lot of my spare time after work just to get the adrenaline going.  I hadn't shot in close to 5 years, and didn't feel comfortable with a shot over 30 yards, so most of my time was just spent watching deer go by.  During this time, I was able to identify 14 different deer on my lease.  By the end of the bow season, I already picked out 3 bucks I would like to have taken during rifle season.

The first day of rifle season rolled around, and I saw a few of my "old friends" in the woods.  Mostly young bucks with one yearling that always shadowed them (probably a young buck himself).  On the 3rd day, one of my 8pts gave me a 110 yard shot, and I took it.  On Veteran's Day (4 days later) The other 8pt chased a doe to within 50 yards of me, and I took him as well.  Little did I know, a HUGE 10pt I had seen only once before was just behind him.

I'm sharing my 325 acre lease with 3 other hunters.  This kind of gave me a sense of urgency in getting my choice of bucks early.  I am fairly confident the 10pt will make it to next season.  The other hunters don't seem as dedicated (or quiet) as I was.

I now have 3 doe tags left.  My dilemma - There are more bucks than does in the area.  I definitely won't take 3, but will probably take one.  Almost all of my friends are bugging me for jerky, and a guy can never have too much burger in the freezer.

Well, that's my season in a nutshell.

I wish you guys all the same,
Terry
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Dave in WV

Some small talk...
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 07:47:28 AM »
I bought new batteries for my radios and I'm charging and discharging them for four cycles. I went through my hunting duds today to get them ready. I've already got my rifles zeroed. My wife is cooking some BBQ to take to camp. I'm going to cook some other food. I don't have a set stand as such. I decide where I'm going to hunt by the weather. I'll leave for camp next weekend. Good luck and happy hunting.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline JPSaxMan

Some small talk...
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 02:55:12 PM »
PA rifle opens on 11/29. Then it runs until 12/11. Then the day after Christmas late muzzleloader and late archery seasons open and they run until the 15th of January (I'll have my new PSE Fire Flite 33 L3 by then...after a few days I'll probably hit the woods. I'll also be taking the Traditions Hawken that has to fill a tag soon as well.) Hunting with a friend on his own land for the first day of season...if I don't get one then...it's every man for himself. I got some deer on my land (just a matter of taking one  :roll: ). Well guys, no matter what you're all doing now, good luck and take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Some small talk...
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 04:57:54 AM »
:D Yesterday I put my stand out. I cleared some branches (thorn branches) from around the stand. I knocked some of the weeds down on the old tractor trail that is my main shooting lane. Our WI gun season opens Saturday. My buddy has been bow hunting and has seen a few smaller bucks and lots of does. He sayes there are rubbs from a big one in the fence lines. I have a couple small rubbs under my stand.
I've been shooting my new 375 Winchester barrel on my contender. It seems to shoot well. Not sure if I should use this or the reliable 7X30.
This year I built a shooting staff to use in my stand. I screwed a 4" square piece of plywood to the bottom so it can't slide through the slats in my stand. I tied it to a tree branch with a short piece of rope so I won't drop it on the ground either. It's 55 yards to the main trail. You can never tell about the wind there, the stand is near the bottom of a large hill with a 40 yard strip of cultivated land about it's base. Corn is all plowed under and the hay is shorted than my lawn.
I have 3 tags but only one is good for a buck.
I'm anxious to get out. May have to do more target shooting this week. Maybe I'll take the muzzleloaders to the range.