Author Topic: Registration Problem  (Read 379 times)

Offline Oldtimer4479

• Trade Count: (0)
Registration Problem
« on: November 12, 2004, 03:40:26 PM »
Here in Michigan we are required to register a handgun within 10 days of the date of purchase. It took me just over an hour and a half to register my Bulgarian Makarovs.  No one in the Sheriff’s office could decide what the (Make of Pistol)  was and what (Model) was.  Do any of you know what the correct designation is for (Make of Pistol) and (Model) for the Bulgarian Makarovs Is?

Offline TOGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Registration Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 05:35:45 PM »
OldTimer,

All I can say is good luck. You should see a few of my registration cards, I have a Ruger MKII standard, that according to my card it is made by Long Rifle, I have a Ruger SP101 that is a six shot, going by the card, I have 2 PA-63 Hungarian 9X18's and one of them is a 40 cal, and when I mentioned the errors I was told " that is what the computer say's it is so that is what it is " :roll:

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Registration Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 04:16:35 AM »
I had an interesting experience here in Michigan a few years ago.  I bought an old Colt .32 auto.  Of course all confiscated gun nowdays are melted, but years ago they were sold to help the budget and returned to service.  Obviously this gun was one of those.  It had the original serial numbers ground off but had been returned to service with a Michigan State Police serial number stamped into it.  The young fellow at the Sherrifs dept had never heard of that and after sitting there for over an hour and having three different officers come and tell me 'did you know the serial numbers have been altered on that gun!' I began to think maybe I should slip quietly out the back door while I still was not wearing handcuffs.  Finally an old Bailif recognized me and asked why I happened to be there.  I told him the story and the fact that none of these young fellow knew what to do with the gun.  He remarked that they used to do that all the time in the old days.  If they took a gun off a punk that had no number, they would get it reissued if they liked the gun.  All of a sudden all my troubles went away.  One of their own told them the same story I had been telling them for an hour!  Good luck!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!