Author Topic: Watching the young ones coming up  (Read 425 times)

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Watching the young ones coming up
« on: November 17, 2004, 03:28:15 PM »
So far the rut hasn't kicked in as we are still mighty wet and warm, with leaves and acorns still on trees much later than usual. Hunting has been fun, though, as I have seen deer every day except one morning so far out of five days afield. Between my cousins and I, we have seen at least six different bucks from two stands. They are all young and showing potential for the years ahead. It is good to see them all, and fun to watch them learn from their first or second hunting seasons with antlers.

30 yards from my blind on opening morning as I walked in was a dandy little 1.5 year-old eight point with about a 12" spread and good symmetry. He just stood there sizing me up as I scoped him thoroughly and let him prance off. I saw him again on day 2 and again five days later.

There was an eight point 2.5 year-old with about a 15-16" spread, nice symmetrical antlers, tall tines, that will maybe be a shooter next year if he grows something extra and gets a little heavier. He grazed around my blind for about 45 minutes at mid-morning on opening day.

On the evening of day two I saw a yearling six point with very unusual configuration. His spread was narrow, and he had no brow tines and only small forks at the tips of his main beams, but he sported to non-typical points, one on each antler. On the left side he was triple-forked, with the third tine extending outward from the typical fork. On the right side he had a 3" kicker on the inside of his beam about halfway from the base to the tip. It'll be interesting to see what he will look like if he survives to a decent age. He came out along the treeline, staying just in the shadows as he browsed for about 30 minutes before moving on to the north.

Mid-afternoon of my fourth hunting day I saw a four point yearling with a wanna-be fifth point on the right antler. He was probably 14" wide and had beams more typical of a 2.5 year-old. He has the makings of a wide, heavy-beamed buck in years to come. He spent almost an hour browsing back and forth in and out of the brush.

My cousins also saw a four-point yearling and an older four-point with heavier beams. They are all grazing in regular patterns and not too interested in the does yet. Things should change in the next ten days or so, and maybe then some of the older monarchs will show themselves. We know they are here, but haven't seen any of them yet. I can hardly wait for the rut to kick in!
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 07:45:16 AM »
Funny what a difference 200 miles makes...

The rut started about 2 weeks ago here.  The big boys running everywhere NOSE FIRST.

I had a spike stay within 50 yards of my stand for close to 15 minutes the other evening.  The cool thing was, he seems to have adopted a button buck as his little brother.  They were constantly looking around to make the the other was still in the area.

Quick question for you though... How can you tell the difference between a 1 1/2, 2 1/2 or 3 yr old deer?  I can usually tell if the deer is older by antler mass/appearance and the color/quality of the coat.  Usually the face will give it away too.  I just have trouble judging the age of younger deer.

Thanks in advance
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline savageT

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 08:57:45 AM »
Quote from: hardertr
Funny what a difference 200 miles makes...

The rut started about 2 weeks ago here.  The big boys running everywhere NOSE FIRST.

I had a spike stay within 50 yards of my stand for close to 15 minutes the other evening.  The cool thing was, he seems to have adopted a button buck as his little brother.  They were constantly looking around to make the the other was still in the area.

Quick question for you though... How can you tell the difference between a 1 1/2, 2 1/2 or 3 yr old deer?  I can usually tell if the deer is older by antler mass/appearance and the color/quality of the coat.  Usually the face will give it away too.  I just have trouble judging the age of younger deer.

Thanks in advance

That's my question also????????

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 09:36:41 AM »
Aging deer up through 3.5 years is not an exact science, but it can be done with pretty decent accuracy with practice. Main difference is body size, but also antler mass, body conformity/contour/proportion.

Body size: The 1.5s are equal or less in weight and body proportions to an average doe. By age 2.5, a healthy buck will outweigh all but the biggest does. By 3.5, he will outweigh all the does by a noticeable margin. There are exceptions, of course, with a few individuals out of every 100 or so, but in general this is pretty consistent. Hand in hand with weight goes overall body frame, that is, the overall skeletal mass and dimensions of height, width, and length.

Antler mass: This one can fool you in deer that are genetically inferior or on poor range. Older deer can sometimes have downright scrawny antlers, but this is an exception to the rule. Usually other characteristics (body size, muscle mass, contour, etc.) will give these guys away despite their antlers. By and large the 1.5s will have small diameter main beams, relatively smooth at the base, and usually lack a spread beyond the ears. Number of points is NOT a good indicator of age. I've seen 1.5 ten-pointers and 3.5 fork-horns. But the 10 pointer had spindly main beams and tines and only about a 13" spread, while the fork-horn had fairly heavy main beams and a 16-17" inch spread (both were verified by tooth aging after kill). Quality 2.5s will generally start having some roughage at the bases, and overall mass and spread will improve to a moderate level, but mass will tend to thin some toward the last antler fork. Good 3.5s and older will generally carry mass greater than 4" at the base (measure some mounted heads for reference), feature pronounced burrs at the antler bases, and will carry their antler mass out to the G3s pretty well. These are all general indicators, and may vary quite a bit in a dozen or so individuals out of 100. Antlers are best considered along with other characteristics to determine age.

Body conformity/contour/proportion:
1.5s have a "teenager" look to their muscle mass, bone size, and body proportions. They appear thin-legged, big-eared, big-eyed, narrow, short, and slender. Muscle mass is not yet well-developed, often even lagging behind the average doe. The muscles are long, sharply defined, and taper very gradually to the joints, particularly in the extended reaches of the limbs. Eyes, nose, and ears appear a little offset from the facial contour, making the nose, skull cap, and jaws appear a bit narrow and drawn. Back is straight, body lacks depth from top to bottom, neck shows separate contour from front shoulders, which are distinct from rib cage and loin. Flanks are somewhat drawn and upper buttocks are not yet full and thoroughly round.
2.5s have a "tailback" look, being well-muscled and yet streamlined without excessive bulk. They have more height, length, width, and muscle mass than all but the exceptionally large doe. They have smooth, clean contour lines, and still retain an overall sleek appearance. Their nose and head is filled out, but not blocky, broad, or short in appearance. Ears, eyes, and nose all seem in standard proportion to head and neck size. Bones are moderately heavy, presenting a stronger, more commanding frame than the 1.5s. Muscle groups are more compact and retain moderate mass into the extended limb areas. There is a general "rolling" contour between the separate body areas (head, neck, shoulders, trunk, hind quarters), and the flank and buttocks are full.
3.5s present a "linebacker" appearance. They have larger body proportions than all of the herd does. There is a noticeable depth, heft, and maturity to their overall body conformity. There is a definite depth to their major muscle masses, and their overall contour is squarish with only slight relief between major body areas (head, neck, shoulders, trunk, hind quarters). The head appears full and strong, with a wide, blocky skull. Ears, eyes, and nose appear modest in proportion to the head. Bones have a noticeable heaviness, with strong joints and limbs. The body is tall, long, wide, full, and well-balanced. Rutting neck is thick and well-muscled, fusing athletically with shoulers and head with only minor muscular distinction. Back and belly lines are long and solid with no sagging or swaying evident.

Hope this helps 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.