Author Topic: What is the difference between Rifle and Shotgun scopes?  (Read 815 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
What is the difference between Rifle and Shotgun scopes?
« on: January 14, 2003, 04:11:40 PM »
Can anybody tell me what the difference is between "Rifle" scopes and "Shotgun" scopes?  Is it the reticle?  Is it the eye relief?  Is it the shorter tubes?  What?

Zachary

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
What is the difference between Rifle and Sh
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 07:03:19 PM »
Primarily it is the distance at which parallax is corrected. The shotgun scopes also "usually" have more coarse cross hairs. Shotgun scopes I believe are usually corrected for parallax at about 50 yards as compared to about 150 for rifle scopes. This can vary some by manufacturer.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wildman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What is the difference between Rifle and Sh
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 05:16:32 PM »
GB hit it on the head with the parallax.  Really, parallax won't make a difference, unless you are doing high precision shooting.  For deer sized game, you could use a 'shotgun' scope on a rifle, or vise versa without no noticeable difference in a hunting situation.
The intruder turns around slowly, sees both barrels, and hears a low-deep voice say "Son, the left one's iron and the right one's steel, if the left one don't get you, the right one will"