Author Topic: Has anyone heard of this story?  (Read 941 times)

Offline deerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Has anyone heard of this story?
« on: January 28, 2003, 01:57:37 AM »
I heard it a long time ago, and I would guess it could work, but I'm not sure if its just a story someopne made up.

I deerhunter once fed/baited the deer in a stretch of woods all spring summer and fall.  He would dump apples/corn(I dont remember which) in an area, and sprinkle some Aqua Velva aftershave lotion on some of the suorrounding trees.  He started the aftershave light and eventually worked it up to a heavy amount to about a month before deer season.  He had to stop baiting a month before deer season because of hunting regulations.  When hunting season started, he splashed aqua velva all over himself, to the horror of his hunting partners.  The then made a bee line brisk walk strait thru the woods leaving his scent.  The deer recognized the scent and they all chased him.  He just turned around and waited to pick one to shoot.

Has anyone else heard of this story?  I wouldnt mind trying it just for the fun of it, but it sounds like too much work.

Offline jhm

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 04:20:13 AM »
yes it will work, as with all animals the deer will respond to sounds and sents to be rewarded and thats exactly what you would be doing,  every cattleman knows that all they have to do is open the gate and drive their pickup or tractor thru the gate with feed and the cattle will come running then when you just drive into the pastures to check on your cattle during calfing season you dont need any feed they just come to the sound of the truck or tractor,  but like you said it is alot of work being out there on a daily basis and alot of people are not willing to work that hard. :D  JIM

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 03:30:35 PM »
I saw that same thing with hatchery raised and stocked trout of all things. My little brother used to be a wildlife officer working at the Oakridge Hatchery in OR. He took me to a stocking point on one of the local rivers and showed me why they tried to keep these places secret. All he did was put a peice of 5 inch PVC pipe in the water and rap on it. The trout came in gangs, big 11-12 lbs hens. Seems that to get the fish on one end of the holding tanks in the hatchery the workers would hit on the water pipe just befort they spread the food pellets. :eek:  Guess it would work with deer. I have seen "calls" for deer that make the sound of a feeder going off, don't see why AV wouldn't work.
Love those .41s'