Author Topic: One Man's observations: Nikon, Swaro, Burris, Khales, Mepota  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ourabmen

• Trade Count: (0)
One Man's observations: Nikon, Swaro, Burris, Khales, Mepota
« on: November 16, 2004, 04:53:30 PM »
Went buy one of my local haunts late this afternoon (4:00 pm CST). Rainy, heavy overcast day here in OKC.  Took them all outside for an impromptu look-see (I have been looking for a scope for a new Tikka WH 30-06),

Nikon Monarch 3.3-10x44. $399.99
Burris Signature Select 3-12x44. $429.00
Swarovski American 3-10x42. $940.00
Meopta Atremis 3-9 42mm (30mm tube). $459.00

from last to first:

4.Burris:  very nice scope, built like a rock, and good optics. Not as sharp and clear as others. All others were much crisper, and clear to my eyes. (Street signs and license plates looked fine, but you knew you were looking at them through something)

3.Nikon: A large step ahead of the Burris, very bright, clear and crisp, excellent resolution at all power's (street signs and license plates seemed to resolve as if normal).  Seemed a little more dainty compared to the the tank like Burris and Meopta. The Nikon Plex reticle with the gold tint to it was funky to me (personal preference only). Optically it was outstanding.

2. Meopta: This thing is a hog, 21 oz, built like a 1972 S-Class Benz. Not the best looking of the bunch from an asthetics standpoint, just plain european utilitarianism.  Optically outstanding, Nikon was very close in fact.  Meopta seemed a hair crisper, Nikon was just as clear.  Range finding German 4a reticle was my favorite.  No diecernable difference in brightness between the Meopta dn Nikon.

1. Swarovski .  This scope was flat out fantastic.  It should be for the huge $$$$.  The tds reticle is pretty nifty.  Optics were clear as a bell and image was as bright & crisp as can be.  What else is there to say.

I would have been happy as heck with the Burris, had I not had a chance to look through the others. Very nice scope, great build. But alas, I did not spend my cash today on this one.  It is a fine scope indeed. But it did not come home with me.  

The Nikon was great.  Cant ask for more bang for the buck out of this small sample.  Great optics, and silky smooth in its operation.  It reminds of the Toyota Camry that I drive: a hell of  lot for your money.

The Swaro, well it is the cat's pajama's.  Silk to boot, with chamois lining.  But hells bell's , $940.00 was just to far out there, even for a great self-rationalist like me.  I could see the rationale if you were on a once in life time hunt that you had shelled out $5-6 grand for plus air fare.  But for white tail and over the counter elk tag's?  It is a fine optical specimen, but bang for the buck goes to the Nikon and the Mepota.

That brings me to the Mepota.  It was $60.00 more than the Nikon, and I just liked every thing about it.  Optics were not on par with the Swaro, but I would say the Nikon and Mepota were in the 90% range.  I loved the solid build, distinctly industrial looks, and it's solid mechanical operation.  The optics between the Nikon and Mepota Artemis are like comparing Camry and an Accord:  They were both excellent, just a little different.  The Nikon looked a little brighter, but the Mepota looked a little crisper. The German 4a range finding reticle was a slick bonus.  

Summation:  It is amazing how many very good scopes there are out on the market today.  Competition in the market place is a wonderful thing.  It's nice to know that when you walk into a place of business and are ready to spend your hard earned cash, you can find something that fills your needs, meets your particular wants, and roles your socks up to boot.  

Good Luck, Good hunting, and Happy Holidays!

Boomer Sooner,

OUrabmen
OUrabmen

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
One Man's observations: Nikon, Swaro, Burri
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 06:38:44 PM »
What about Pentax or Leupold? These are my favorites anywho.  :-)

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline ourabmen

• Trade Count: (0)
One Man's observations: Nikon, Swaro, Burri
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 07:14:28 PM »
Scott, this store had a strange assortment of scopes. No Zeiss conquest, No Luppy's, and no Pentax(getting hard to find out here in Oklahoma).

I did compare the Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, Luppy VXII and VXIII, Bushnell 4200 & 3200 at another store.  The Bushnell 3200's were very nice, but did not flip my skirt.  The 4200 was excellent to my eyes, as was the Luppy's.  Of all these the conquest was my favorite.

I am going to take the Mepota into this store and play around with comparing to these as well.  

When I got home I was able to take the Mepota outside at around 5:30 PM CST, and do a head to head with a Khales 3.5x10-50mm that I have on another Tikka.  The Khales excelled in the dimming light of this overcast evening.  The difference was similar between it and the Swaro at the store.  The Khales was very crisp and clear.  I was lucky and won $800.oo dollars in Cabela's gift certificates last year from work, and cashed them in the Khales, other wise I would have been hard pressed to come up with the $750.00 they wanted for the scope.

I'll let you know what I see when I go to the other store.

Sincerely,

OUrabmen
OUrabmen