Author Topic: 12 gauge vs. 20 gauge  (Read 896 times)

Offline 87-19

• Trade Count: (0)
12 gauge vs. 20 gauge
« on: November 15, 2004, 02:32:10 PM »
This is a question, I too, asked myself about a month ago. I decided on the 20 ga. Ultra Slug Hunter. After shooting all types of slugs, my H&R told me it liked the Federal 3" Vital Shok 3/4 oz. the best. Yesterday I had my first opportunity to make meat with it . I took a Doe at 85 yards and less than 10 seconds later and 10 yards closer, I took a second Doe. I mean to tell you, that 20 gauge dropped those 2 Does where they stood. Not a flinch, not a flicker, dead before they hit the ground. That gun is accurate and the 20 ga. speaks with authority. If you are trying to decide between the 12 or the 20, the 20 gets my vote.

Jim

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
12 gauge vs. 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:43:07 AM »
87-19

After this season, I will tend to agree with you.  I shot a button buck with my 20 gauge Tracker II at about 60 yards and he went down like I had pulled a rug out from under him.

Here's a picture of the deer and the gun that got him.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=390

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Meat in the Freezer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 02:09:17 AM »
That's the way to go, Backstrap for breakfast :)  :) With bisqetts,
gravey Marv
 PS you didn't invite me over :D  :D

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
12 gauge vs. 20 gauge
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 05:04:51 AM »
Nice work guys! The 20 sounds like it is equal to the task.

Offline 87-19

12 gauge vs. 20 gauge
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 07:20:44 AM »
Marv,

If your willing to provide the biscuits, come on over. :)  I was hoping to recover the bullets (slugs) but both completely passed through. The first Doe was headed downhill toward me. I aimed at the top of the brisket for the shot . I had the gun sighted 2" high at 100 yds. and forgot to allow for that at the closer range. The slug passed through the throat, took out 1 lung and came out through the ribs. The other was standing there looking at the other Doe, thinking- why don't you get up, so I showed Her why. It was a quartering away shot. I put the slug just behind the rib cage to hit the back of the near side lung and pass through the other lung and shoulder. It did just that. The exit wounds on both deer were massive, about a 1 1/2" in diameter. Could have been because they came out at an angle.
   Here in Indiana, we have Urban Zones and I can take up to 4 Does and 1 Buck. I hope to have allot of Salami, Sausage, Burger, jerky and Butterflyed Backstrap, Yum Yum. :wink:

Jim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
12 gauge vs. 20 gauge
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 07:25:23 AM »
Great job 87-19!!, and all that with a single shot break action shotgun!!! 2 deer in what, about 5-10 seconds?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 87-19

12 gauge vs. 20 gauge
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 01:50:18 AM »
I recently read an article in "BUCKMASTERS" magazine, where the author of the article was talking about the ultimate slug gun. In passing, he breifly mentioned the H&R 980 bull-barrel. He did give it a good word on accuracy, but discounted it based on 1. weight 2. being a single shot and 3. being a dedicated slug only gun. To him I say, 1. try the 20 gauge, it is lighter 2. when I shot my 2 deer, the 2nd shot was done quite quickly, just have the ammo handy for a quick reload, 3. it is not a dedicated slug only gun, you can add different gauge shotgun barrels to incude a 3 1/2" turkey barrel and a muzzle loader barrel and it can be done for less money and just as quickly as changing the barrel on an 870.

I'm done venting now.

Jim

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
12 gauge vs. 20 gauge
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 07:41:10 AM »
Remember the guys at Buckmasters use the TC encore and such.  They might just be a little biased in their evaluation of another single shot  that can do the same things their high-priced beauty can. :grin: