Author Topic: gas check maker  (Read 803 times)

Offline harpman

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Reloading Log Books
gas check maker
« on: March 02, 2005, 03:29:17 PM »
whats the lowest price one  ?.....any one use one of these ?
The Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Log Book

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
gas check maker
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 03:44:39 PM »
Gas checks, low price?  :)  :-D  :)  :-D  :)  :-D  :)  You've got to be kidding. They used to be but unless you can find an individual offering some cheap there is no such thing anymore.

I think Hornady is somewhat cheaper than Lyman but not by enough to really tell it in the wallet. I always buy mine at Midsouth Shooters Supply an advertiser here at GBO. Have been buying from them over 20 years.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
gas check maker
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 04:12:37 PM »
are you talking about making your own?? There used to be one around that made checks from old soda cans. I haven't seen one of these in years. Might be worth while now a days. It was called FREE_CHEK,I think.

Offline buck1

gas check maker
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »
Pacos free check tool is no longer sold.
The only gas check makers I can find require a LARGE investment of $$ for tons of equipment. ....buck

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
gas check maker
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 04:41:18 PM »
Corbin Company has one for $300 or so. Uses copper strip .03" thick. They would build it in any caliber from .17 to .510 I think.  Believe it would only be worthwhile if you needed a non-standard diameter check.  8)

Offline Handgunr

gas check maker
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 03:15:53 AM »
Just a tip.....

From what I've read regarding gaschecks lately, Hornady produces them for just about everyone now.
Lyman included.
So if you're gonna buy them, just look for the cheapest price. 99% sure you'll be getting Hornady's now matter where you buy.

Lyman's old style (designed to fall off in flight) were dismal sellers, and accuracy was usually the same, dismal. They were distinguishable by their different, brass colored appearance, rather than the nice copper color.

Take care,
Bob
Deactivated at member's request.