Author Topic: florida quail hunt  (Read 410 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
florida quail hunt
« on: November 17, 2004, 03:24:27 AM »
just got back from florida last night. my son, dad, cousin, my uncle went on a guided quail hunt in punta gorda florida. only three of us shot, my dad and uncle sat on the swamp buggy while the three of us shot.

we got 30 birds in 3 1/2 hours and then had a great bbq lunch on the shore of stream. this was the first time ever hunt for my son, he used his 410 wood stocked pardner and did pretty darn good, 8 birds. i started out with my side by side parker 20 gauge and switched to my 410 handi with the custom fitted msp ret super light 410 barrel after bagging two doubles.

on the way home, i got to sit in the co-pilot seat of the commuter plane that took us from sarasota to tampa.

what a great weekend !, gun's, bird's & planes !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
florida quail hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 02:57:23 PM »
Great time SC and good for you!!! My wife thinks I'm crazy and said she won't fly with me but I want to at least get an Ultra-Light for my camp in Maine. I have halfway put in a 1600' landing strip that will be more than enough for a UL and enough for a nice used Cessna with a STOL kit. My cousin sold his Cessna I wanted to buy from him, but he was offered so much he could not refuse. I have not even started private lessons yet and I don't even know if I ever get the time or money for them.  I have flown with him several times (I have actually, really, flown!!) and would love to get a plane. My wife on the other hand is spending all the money we don't have on an addittion to the house (with my approval by the way, why am I doing this?)....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
florida quail hunt
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 05:45:45 AM »
i did ground school and solo-ed back in 1986-87. it was in the small cessna's 152, 172's. it was fun. havent kept it up though, you have to do it all the time to keep out of trouble !

but - that slick little 410 barrel that snapped on to my handi receiver was just about weightless. have you been able to score any more batches of barrels ? before i forget, how is the red dot working ?

sg

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
florida quail hunt
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 10:12:15 AM »
Air planes? trips to Florida? hunting camps? I'm lucky if I can afford the gas to drive my 20 year old ford ranger out to the old farm.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
florida quail hunt
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 10:25:51 AM »
:D , Markus, Your truck is only 20 years old? You lucky dog you, life must be good!!!

SC, no more batchs of barrels have come up. I send the guy an e-mail every month or so to remind him I'll take any he comes across but he has not answered yet. Glad you are happy with that .410. I also  found the older shotuun barrels are much lighter than the newer ones, especiually the .410's and the 20's. I like them better myself. If I ever do get a response from him I will buy them and post here what is available, as long as I don't have to go through what I did before in getting burned on payment. I am however sure that was an anomally and it did work out in the end for me. A couple others here did get hurt by the same guy though. I don't believe he is here any longer unless he has registered under another name....<><....  :cry:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
florida quail hunt
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 10:42:17 AM »
i drive a 1985 ranger too ! it started out life as a 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive and now its a 6 cylinder 4WD, it's going to a 289 v8 in the spring.

pm me your email address and i'll send you a picture of it. it was my winter project this year.

msp - does that red dot work for you ? and if any more barrels come up, count me in !

sg