Author Topic: Para Ordnance's "Warthog"  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Para Ordnance's "Warthog"
« on: November 06, 2004, 04:28:03 AM »
Does anybody out there own one, and how does it measure up? Accurate, comfortable, reliable, etc? I like the main designs incorporated into it, such as: High capacity (10 rds mag cap), very compact, powerful chambering (45 ACP), and seems well made. Can it be fired in double and single action, or is it double or single action only? Lastly, are the extensive safety features a blessing, or a curse? (I don't hate safety, but I wonder if it can be overdone if the gun is needed in immediate necessity for self-defense) If any of you could provide some input on your experiences with one, it would be greatly appreciated.  Patriot

Sorry if you read this already at "Handguns General Discussion".  I think it would have been better suited here, because of it's miniscule size.
-Patriot

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 06:36:27 AM »
I have only seen pictures of the "Warthog". It appears to be a SA only. The length is nice, but with the double stack it is way too thick for ease of concealment. I'll stay with my officer's for its thin flat profile.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 01:09:21 PM »
The Warthog is a SA gun. Earlier this year I was looking in to PO guns for CCW. I ended up going with the CCO, this is the single stack DAO revolver with 3.5” barrel. I wanted the DAO because it’s simpler to operate. I also felt the length of the Warthog receiver didn’t leave much to hold onto unless you have smaller hands. PO offers the Para Carry 12 which is has the 3.5” barrel and a little more grip that holds 12 rounds and is DAO. An all metal all stainless gun.

My CCO is a great lil gun. I had a few FTF within the first box of ammo. That was about 1000 rounds ago and hasn’t had a hick-up since. It shoots 4" groups with me behind it at 20 yards.

This is my first PO gun and I’m well satisfied. I also feel like the “x” x-tractor was a good improvement. It’s a nice big claw for positive extraction.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 04:16:51 PM »
I went to the local gunshop yesterday, and found out that gun ( Warthog or the P10-45 series for that matter) was no longer certified for sale in CA.  I also confirmed for myself at the CA DOJ website.  Sad as that was, I found the P12-45 to be better in the long run.  Because of living in the state of CA, the 10rd mags will have to do for the moment.  If I may inquire further, in your guy's experience with Para-Ordnance, how would their quality compare to Sigarms?  I am a Sig fan at the moment, but Para (in my opinion) is the only company I see that beats the others (Sig being a possible exception?), and has the pistol design I've been searching for.  My preference is: A gun that is very compact (looking around 7"L and 5"H for an example, as my B.E. has the same specs), shoots 45 ACP, excellent magazine capacity (around 8+ rds preferred), and is very well-made with high quality material.  But if Sig came out with something similar, then I'd go with that, and I don't see that coming anytime soon...A shame :cry:    

As a final question, is it possible to have the beaver-tail bobbed (on the P12-45), to reduce the chances of getting reddened in the hand's web area?  My Baby Eagle has a beaver-tail; it drives me crazy sometimes during the longer shooting sessions I've had with it, and my large hands don't help me much in that regard.  But I like the compact-sized pistol, and that keeps me wanting of a small, yet powerful gun.  Thanks for any time spent on this subject. :D   Patriot
-Patriot

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 03:36:57 AM »
have you looked at the springfields.  I have not shot them but have had a chance to hold a couple, they feel great!  try these links.

linkshttp://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-mc.shtml
and
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-uc.shtml
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!
:D

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 03:58:13 AM »
No experience with the Springfield Micro, but quite a bit with the Kimber Ulta Carry. Wow! What a sweet shooting little gun! I have a friend who leaves his full size and commanders at home and shoots the Ultra in IDPA. Don't know if either of these are CA legal though.
Savage

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 02:41:30 PM »
Look at the Carry12 in the link below...I don't know if this gun is leagal for CA or not but it has the options you want.

http://www.paraord.com/pages/lda_highcap_carry.html

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 04:29:03 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the link.  I did do alot of research on the different models Para has made.  The feature on those models (Carry series) is the LDA Light Double Action.  I'm not too fancy for the DAO pistols out there, and still prefer the DA/SA pistols.  The first shot can be DA, and the rest SA, provided the hammer is not de-cocked first to bring it back to DA.  I don't really like the long pull associated with DAO pistols, even though I've read how light they are; I prefer the feeling of:  A couple more .01" to go before discharge, instead of: Back, back, back, (when's it going to go off?) back some more, and then BOOM!! :evil:   Having to do that with every shot just doesn't sit right inside my phsycological sphere I suppose.  I like the crisp precision of a SA, and still have the flexibility of a DA too.  Anyhow, the P12-45 does seem perfect to what I want, but the kicker?  It has not yet been certified in CA... They did submit around 50 or so the dealer told me, and it could be available pretty soon.  Reason being, these pistols have the new "Power Extractor", and according to CA, they are a whole new gun and must be tested against any accidental discharge due to the new feature. :roll:   I'll be patient, and wait.  Thanks for all the info folks, and stay safe. :D    Patriot
-Patriot

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 05:11:33 AM »
I've had a P12 for years and it's held up very well. Occasional jams when I let the mags get dirty; you also have to check where you get extra magazines from -- the springs on the aftermarket ones are considerably weaker than the factory. For concealability, I wear mine IWB at around the 5 o'clock position wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and it's well hidden even with the double-stack.

You do have to practice a little more to be proficient accuracy-wise, but now I can hit as well with the P12 as with my S&W 6906 9mm. For me, it's a recoil thing. It's not painful to shoot, but it does kick, especially when I run Cor-Bon 230gr +P loads through it. But overall, I much prefer the SA 1911 design over the DA/SA autos.

Good luck!
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 05:13:32 PM »
The handle is bound to be a little fat for good concealed carry, especially in summer.  You might want to take a look at the C645.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 02:29:10 AM »
The "Warthog" when fully loaded is too heavy for concealed carry in anything other than a good belt holster. The thick grip makes it more difficult to conceal than a commander size single stack, in my opinion. The C-6LDA is also far too heavy for it's size. If you want to carry a concealable 1911 pattern pistol, I'd look at the officer's size alloy frame offerings from Kimber or Springfield.
Savage

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 11:11:27 AM »
Savage, the C645 weighs 28 OZ empty, that's about as light as I want to go with a 45ACP, especially one with a short handle.  With a proper holster that gun will conceal easily and ride comfortably.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 11:28:04 AM »
Dusty,
My Kimber ulta carry is about 1/2lb lighter, about the same size and is easy to control. The 7rd capacity is the same. The Para  would be more attractive to me if it had an alloy frame. To each his own.
Savage