Author Topic: Dual Dovetail Bases...I'm a believer.  (Read 575 times)

Offline sockeye3

• Trade Count: (0)
Dual Dovetail Bases...I'm a believer.
« on: November 10, 2004, 08:25:54 PM »
I want to thank Graybeard and others for recommending dual dovetail bases and signature rings.  I couldnt figure out why my Remington 700 BDL 7mm mag was such a sporatic shooter.  For 20 years my 3x9 Leupold scope rested atop one-piece bases.  You know the kind with the windage screw in the back.  I didn't even know what the screw was for until I started reading this forum.  I had some suspicions about this setup when I took it all apart and tightened it two years ago.  The bases don't even use the back hole that's tapped in the receiver.  This system has been around for a long time and it may work for a light recoil gun, but it wasn't working for me.  
The first time out to the range with my new dovetail bases and signature rings, I had a three shot group at 100 yards in one ragged hole.  With the old one-piece I would be all over the paper and never able to see groups.  If you can't figure out what is wrong with your setup it could be that old one-piece base with the windage screw.  I'm a believer in dual dovetail bases and have switched my other guns over.  

Sockeye3

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 11:23:14 PM »
I've been telling folks this for years. Glad to hear someone is actually listening and finding out what I've been saying really does have some basis. The ONLY reason I use the older windage adjustable rear and twist in front is when it is the ONLY option available. For light kickers the Weaver base and Burris ring is still superior to it. When the dual dovetail is available it is my first choice always.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 10:13:19 AM »
As long as you're darn careful setting them up, usually including reaming them straight, they're great! I've seen quite a few damaged scopes from incorrectly installed DD rings though.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline KYsquirrelsniper

• http://www.geocities.com/squirrelsniper/index.html
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 01:41:54 AM »
I'm also a fan of the dual dovetail bases and rings, especially as a no-nonsense set-up for hunting rifles. However, I definitely recommend either using the Burris Signature dual dovetail rings, or if you use Leupolds, be sure to lap them when you get them in place (and it will have to be done again if you ever remove them), as the dual dovetail design can easily lead to damaged scope tubes or binding adjustments if you don't follow this advice. Really, the only faults to the DD system is the scope damage possibly which of course is easy to avoid with Signature rings, and they definitely aren't a suitable choice if you plan to remove the rings more than maybe once every few years.

About the only thing that I feel is stronger than the DDs is a quality Weaver or Picatinney set-up, and I don't mean just common Weaver components that you can buy anywhere. I mean stuff like Badger, Ken Farrell, TPS, etc which is extremely strong. Of course stuff like that is excessively expensive, heavy, and truly un-needed for the average hunting rifle.
Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
http://www.geocities.com/squirrelsniper/index.html

Offline tbonecpa

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 04:51:05 AM »
I followed Graybeard's advice and put DD bases on my Model 70 when I replaced the stock, free-floated the barrel, and lightened the trigger pull.  I just couldn't see mounts with adjustments on them holding a zero.  The DD's are probably overkill for an '06 but I don't want any surpirses on my 10 day hunt oin British Columbia next fall.  I am not a good bench shooter and now I have a legitimate 1 MOA gun thanks to the great advice I received here.