Author Topic: 35 Rem In 8mm Mauser  (Read 736 times)

Offline riverjackal

• Trade Count: (0)
35 Rem In 8mm Mauser
« on: November 15, 2004, 10:31:35 AM »
I was at a friends house and heard a loud rifle shot, we went outside and his neighbor had a 8 mm and he was shooting 35 rem thru it. The empties came out straight walled. I saw what he was doing and told him how dangerous it was, he told me he didn't know what caliber it was and went to walmart and the clerk told him to try 35 remington. I told him if he liked breathing air that he better not shoot any more, he had shot about 12 rounds thru it earlier. It was some kind of military rifle, 8 mm is about .320 thousandths or give or take a couple thousandths and 35 rem is 358, that means it was squeezing it down 38 thousandths or so. I couldn't hardly believe it . I thought I would share this experience with you guys, you never know what you will see next.
  A 13 yr old boy was killed saturday morning here in Arkansas after him and his friend had killed a deer, the report said a muzzle loader went off accidently and shot him in the face. So sad and it doesn't have to happen.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
35 Rem In 8mm Mauser
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 10:55:09 AM »
Two morals of that first story:

1) If you are a jackash, you should shtay the hail away from guns.

2) It'sh a better than even bet that any given shporting goods clerk at WalMart is a jackash.

Condolances to the boy's friends and family. All the game animals on earth are not worth the life of one human lost when we forget to put safety first. :(
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
35 Rem In 8mm Mauser
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 11:32:22 AM »
One of the old stories of the Japanese Arasaki rifle was that I guy found one at a gun show that was marked .308. He shot it and was amazed at the noise and recoil. He took it to a gunsmith who inspected it. He found the bore was 6.5mm!! Apperantly some nimrod has taken a 6.5 Arasaki and bored the chamber to .308 and left the bore 6.5 for some reason! The point of the story is the rifle was forcing 7.62mm bullets down a 6.5mm bore! The rifle as taking the abuse but gripes I wonder what pressures it was making.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8