Author Topic: After Market Blackhawk/Single-Six front sight???  (Read 385 times)

Offline Jerry Lester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
After Market Blackhawk/Single-Six front sight???
« on: November 18, 2004, 02:16:44 PM »
I recently had my 6.5" Stainless 357 Blackhawk cut back to 5.5". Of course, he had to remove the factory sight(it's silver soldered), and replace it with a Single-Six(screwed on) front sight.

It works fine with about half the loads I normally shoot, but today when I was playing around with some lower velocity 158g loads, I realized that the sight was too low to get my POI down for sighting them in. I had to drop the back sight down to re-sight in my regular loads to start with, but hadn't thought about it untill this happened today. With low powered 125g loads, or even full house 158g loads, it'll sight in, but I then only have a couple clicks before I bottom out the rear sight.

I need a front sight like the Single-Six one, but a few thousandths taller. Do any of you fellows know where I can find one? Do they make the Single-Six sight in different heights?

Thanks!

Offline Malamute

After Market Blackhawk/Single-Six front sig
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 10:10:56 AM »
I'm curious about the "..of course he had to....install a screw on sight." why didn't he use the factory sight, or the factory sight meant for the shorter barrel? Ruger makes several heights of front sights for Blackhawks for different calibers and barrel lengths. I've had several pistols cut down, and always had the sight silver soldered back on. Much cleaner and stronger that screwed on.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
After Market Blackhawk/Single-Six front sig
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 01:30:06 PM »
I guess the "had to" part wasn't "exactly" accurate. It's just so easy to drill, and tap for the Single-Six sight that that's a fairly common route to go when cutting back a Ruger Blackhawk. I'm not sure if this fellow is even set up for doing the silver soldering.

I was all for going with the Single-Six sight though, because the blued front sight matches the blued rear sight better in my eyes. I'm thinking about shimming the front sight with blued steel shim stock.

The thing sights in perfectly with my current deer load, as well as my all around plinking/varmint load the way it is. I may just end up not messing with it at all, and sticking with my tried, and proved loads.