Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 1466 times)

Offline karter

• Trade Count: (0)
TV Shows
« on: December 23, 2002, 12:21:43 PM »
Anybody else see the "TTHA" show currently running? Saw last night they were hunting in Illinois, with a rifle??? Sure looked like a fenced game farm to me...
Wonder how many shows are fair chase any more???
doug

Offline John Y Cannuck

• A Real Regular
TV Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 04:50:50 PM »
Up here, hunting is sooo different from those shows, they all look fake to me.
Canadian Liberal Gov't = elected Dictatorship

Offline Tony D

• Avid Poster
Rifle Hunting in IL
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 05:57:41 AM »
I've seen a couple of the TTH shows hunting in Illinois with a rifle and had the same questions.  The place is called Sampson's Ridge (IIRC)
Tony D ><>

Offline karter

TV Shows
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 04:30:39 AM »
I sent TTHA an e-mail, and have yet to receive any kind of a response. I also spoke to an individual with the Illinois dept of Conservation, the only way you could hunt Illinois with a rifle(as we suspected) would be on some type of "private reserve", and then Illinois still frowns on rifles. Now dont get me wrong, in Southern ILL where I live, I do feel we should be allowed rifle use, but I dont make the laws. I just would like those type shows to let us the viewing public know up front when they are on a fair chase hunt, and when they are hunting in a pen. I also feel strongly that if a person does not like that kind of deception, that they should let the sponsors of a show know how they feel.
doug

Offline markc

TTHA?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 03:21:02 AM »
what does TTHA stand for?  Is it the Texas Trophey Hunters Association?  If it is, then I missed the show, but got tired of their magazine.  Few people can afford to hunt the way's promoted most in their magazine.
markc :-)
markc

Offline Tony D

• Avid Poster
Rifles and Handguns in IL
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2003, 09:13:18 AM »
Karter, I couldn't agree more.  There are plenty of places in Illinois where a rifle wouldn't be a hazard.  I would also like to see Illinois allow handguns during the shotgun season.  How could a pistol bullet be any more dangerous than a 1 ounce shotgun slug that starts to tumble after about 125 yards? :x
Tony D ><>

Offline Gregory

Re: Rifles and Handguns in IL
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 03:03:49 AM »
Quote from: Tony D
Karter, I couldn't agree more.  There are plenty of places in Illinois where a rifle wouldn't be a hazard.  I would also like to see Illinois allow handguns during the shotgun season.  How could a pistol bullet be any more dangerous than a 1 ounce shotgun slug that starts to tumble after about 125 yards? :x

Tony
I couldn't agree with you more.  How come we have a muzzleloader season, but you can use your muzzleloader in the firearm season, yet we have a hundgun season but can't use a handgun in firearms season?  
This January hunt is for the eskimos!  Too cold for this ole' fart.
Greg
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
TV Shows
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2003, 04:28:47 PM »
I once many years ago went hunting with Jerry Johnson, the founder of the TTHA.  The hunt was in Mexico and for $1500.00 there were promises of hundreds and hundreds of big deer and a cabin and meals and transportation and great stands, yada, yada, yada.  

Well, I flew to Laredo and the only way that I got to the ranch was because a couple of my buddies drove down earlier and they came back to Laredo to pick me up.  When I got to the ranch there was a bunk house (shed) that had 8 cots on the inside part.  Unfortunately there were 14 hunters and I was the last one, so 6 of us got to sleep on the ground.  (Well, at least it was a screened in porch.)  And good thing we brought some food, cause there was no cook, or even food for that matter.

Now they did have stands.  Several tripods at various parts of the ranch.  I hunted 2 days and didn't see a deer.  My friends hunted 4 days and didn't see a deer.  In fact, in the time that I was there no one took a deer.  Now I know that there are probably hundreds and hundreds of big deer in Mexico, but I guess that I mistakenly thought that Mr. Johnson meant on the ranch that he was brokering hunts for.   Boy, how stupid could I have been?

So anything that you say about his organization wouldn't surprize me.  This guy was a salesman par excelance, and has been able to make BS like his into a very good living I am sure, and plenty of free hunts and free products, etc, etc.

Oh, and about the hunt.  Guess what?  We never saw hide nor hair of Mr. Johnson.  Boy was I surprized.

Offline Tony D

• Avid Poster
TV Shows
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 08:05:09 AM »
Gregory, we can use muzzleloading rifles during the shotgun season.  The projectile must me 44 cal or larger, not counting the sabot.  Must use black powder or substitute, but no smokless powder in the front stuffers.
Tony D ><>