Author Topic: Iron Eyes a Fake  (Read 1800 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Iron Eyes a Fake
« on: July 17, 2004, 05:37:19 AM »
Just read a article in the Spring edition "Guns of the Old West" In a article by Jack Lewis it claims that Iron Eyes Cody the indian who did the commercial with the tear from his eye for the "Keep America Beautiful Campaign." was not a Indian at all but a Italian from Louisiana. (Born in 1904 and Christened Esperea De Corti) Iron Eyes played the fake for 8 decades and was a indian in movies and TV westerns. The truth came out in a newspaper article (New Orleans Times-Picayune) 3 years before his death in 1996. Cody died in 1999 at the age of 94. While a lot of white men portrayed indians in the movies and on tv you could sense that they were not indians and some of them were really noticeable. Not Cody he looked indian and played indian right to a T! The article stated that while some indians who worked for the movies and TV knew Cody was not a indian they never told his secret to the public. Cody lived his part to the fullest and was probably more indian in spirit than some indians. He took a indian wife and adoped 2 indian children to raise as his own. I found this interesting as he had me fooled I figured he was a indian in every thing I saw him play in. SO I thought I would just pass it on. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline oso45-70

the saloon
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 06:24:39 PM »
jh45gun,
Boy he sure had me fooled and i live amongst the indians here in New Mexico, When he sat beside that stream with all the trash and waste with that tear in his eye, I almost lost it myself. Great story Sir I enjoyed it very much,,,,Thank you............Joe...............
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
Iron Eyes a Fake
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 06:30:04 PM »
Hmmm ... didn't know that about Iron Eyes Cody ...

I should have been more suspicious, though ... when I read years ago that he was a member of the OhSoloMio Tribe!   :-D
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline jh45gun

Iron Eyes a Fake
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 12:14:21 PM »
Quote from: Gatofeo
Hmmm ... didn't know that about Iron Eyes Cody ...

I should have been more suspicious, though ... when I read years ago that he was a member of the OhSoloMio Tribe!   :-D

:)

You are welcome Joe!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Sundown Holly

Iron Eyes a Fake
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 07:21:04 PM »
Guess he had us all fooled. Next thing you know some expert will be telling us that the Lone Ranger isn't real!

Offline Can Chaser Kate

• http://www.cactusflatsranchandarenas.com
Iron Eyes a Fake
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 12:41:08 PM »
Hey, to me, Irone Eyes Cody, No matter who or what he was, is still Kin to me. I'm Native American and European on my Dad's Side, and Italian on my Mom's side.
the Dods/Dodsons/Dotsons/Denneys/Clarks are Scottish/VA. Iroquois/Cherokee/Chickamauga Cherokee/Pawnee.
My Mom's Side are the Basile/DiBernardi  Family (Italian).
Can Chaser Kate
SASS 19587
BTKOG New Regulator

Offline mamerch

Don't know about that...
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 02:02:25 PM »
check out this link:

http://www.ironeyescody.com/

mamerch

Offline mamerch

of course on the other side...
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 02:05:08 PM »

Offline Holiday

• Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
Iron Eyes a Fake
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 10:11:21 AM »
To me, it's not the fact that he wasn't a Native American, but the fact that he CHOSE tobe one that impresses me. Not to fool, but as a sign of respect.  It goes to show, it's not what we are born as, but how we live our life that counts.
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
Iron Eyes a Fake
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 06:10:59 AM »
I see two diametrically-opposed, unsupported claims. There's no proof one way or the other.