Author Topic: Scope Choices . . . like choosing Chevy, Ford, Dodge?  (Read 885 times)

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Scope Choices . . . like choosing Chevy, Ford, Dodge?
« on: January 29, 2003, 06:59:19 PM »
The encore bug has bitten me hard.  It will be at least two weeks before I lay my hands on my 209X50 and I already have a "short list" of barrels.  I'd like to get some input on scoping my first accessory barrel.  I'm going to go for the 26" heavy barrel in .223 rem. for varmint use.  I'd like to stay in the 4-12 or 4-16X range.  I have limited experience with quality optics, i.e. those like Nikon, Leupold, etc.  Before I lay out the cash I want to have my homework done.  

Does anyone out there have any good suggestions for a scope under $350?  I've read some posts and am leaning toward Nikon, Leupold, and possibly Bushnell.  Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Scope Choices . . . like choosing Chevy, Fo
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 08:20:13 PM »
Bushnell has both a 4-12 and a 5-15 in their Elite 3200 line. I have the 5-15 and it is an excellent choice and should come in well under the $350 mark I believe.

We have a couple of advertisers here that have excellent low prices. I suggest you check them out. The Optic Zone is our latest and their banner is at the top of this forum. Just click on it to go to their site. The other is D&R who has a banner on the Home Page and in the rotation both.

In addition I think one is for sale on the Classifieds Forum now but unless I'm wrong I think you can buy a new one for what he is asking for that one so unless you can get him down it would be best to just buy new from one of our sponsors and tell them you saw it here on GBO and that's the reason you bought from them.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 03:22:54 AM »
Buy a Dodge!!  Oh, sorry talking about scopes.  :lol:   Here are three that I would recommend.

Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 $334.00
Nikon Monarch 4-12x40  $328.00
Leupold VX-II 4-12x40  $369.00

Like you said it is a lot of personal preference.  They are all great scopes and hard to choose between them.  Good Luck with your purchase.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 03:26:45 AM »
GB is right, you could get an Elite 3200 5x-15x for well under $350.  In fact, it should be about $280.  However, since your limit is $350, I would get the Elite 4200 in 4x-16x-40mm which should be right at $350 or maybe a bit less.

The more I use my Elite 4200s, the more I appreciate them.  They truly are outstanding scopes.

Zachary