Author Topic: 20 ga. Tracker II  (Read 821 times)

Offline mwruf

• Trade Count: (0)
20 ga. Tracker II
« on: December 02, 2004, 06:29:22 AM »
I recently bought a  20 ga. Tracker II.  I was wondering if I can put a scope on this gun and what type of slugs seem to work best with these guns[/b]

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
20 ga. Tracker II
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 10:31:26 AM »
I have a 20 ga tracker II and I have not put a scope on it (Yet) but this gun shoot VERY true.  If your not going to be shooting over 60 yrds I wouldn't worry about putting a scope on it.  I have been out twice with my 20 ga tracker and both times I have brought back deer.  The first shot was on a nice sized 4 point buck at about 60 yrds and the second was on a doe at about 40 yrds. But I do hear that its easier to drill and tap the 20 ga due to the thicker barrel then the 12 ga tracker II.  I have both so I might mount a scope on the 20 and leave the 12 for open sight.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline mwruf

20 ga. Tracker II
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 10:38:01 AM »
Thanks for letting me know.  I have not been able to shoot it yet but hope to today or tommarrow.  What type of slugs do you shoot?

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
20 ga. Tracker II
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 10:59:27 AM »
Mine likes the Remington buck hammer, but at the range to use to it and get close I used the Winchester BRI sabot slug they are alot cheaper.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
20 ga. Tracker II
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:26:23 AM »
Yes, you can put a scope on a Tracker II, but you will need to have it drilled and tapped before you can do that.

I set out on a project much like yours a couple of years ago, I started out with the 20 gauge Tracker II.  Before I started out on the project I spent some time with a set of micrometers measuring barrel diameter, chamber wall thickness, etc.  I determined that the 20 gauge ultra slug (which was drilled and tapped) had the same chamber wall thickness as a 20 gauge Tracker II (which was not drilled and tapped), therefore I saw no reason why I couldn't drill and tap it.  So I did.

The end result is a lightweight 20 gauge slug gun that will group Remington Copper sabots into about 1 1/2" at 100 yards.

Here's a picture of my finished hunting rig.  You can ignore the deer in the background if you wish  :wink:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=390

Offline mwruf

20 ga. Tracker II
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 04:06:07 AM »
JSChance,

Thanks for letting me know.  There is a good chance I will put a scope on this gun a some point.

Offline john.41

• Trade Count: (3)
20 ga. Tracker II
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 10:50:26 AM »
I also drilled and tapped my 20ga Tracker II. I used a one piece Weaver rail #82, perfect fit, no sight interference. 6.75 lbs with 2.5X scope and sling. 2.5"-3" at 100 yd with Lightfield Hybrids.

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
20 ga. Tracker II
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 04:30:22 AM »
Both of the Tracker 20's at our household have been D&T and have the NEF scope rail. The wifes Tracker has a Weaver 1-3x20mm compact scope and can shoot hole touching groups with Federal 3" Hydra-Shok Sabots.

Mine wears a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm compact that I bought along with another on a closeout for $175.oo each. My Tracker shoots best with Winchester Partition Gold Supremes, but not as good as the wifes Tracker. Each Sabot offering on the market seems to shoot differently in both of our Trackers, so probably trying several brands is the key to finding out what yours will do..............Chainsaw