Author Topic: Laredo, Nuevo Laredo  (Read 653 times)

Offline chinahand

• Trade Count: (0)
Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« on: October 13, 2004, 02:36:39 PM »
Exploring employment including daily cross border commuting from Laredo to Nuevo Laredo.  How much of a target is a Gringo in this area?  Anyone familiar with legal ramifications of concealed carry in this area of Mexico for a Texas Permit holder?

Offline jhm

Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 03:33:59 PM »
Chinahand :  You dont want to be caught with a handgun in mexico, or any ammo, pocket knive, or anything else they can consider a concelled weapon, you can have a good time there but their law enforcement is of the type always looking for a us citizen to step out of line, I used to go over there alot and its a rough area to be in if you dont know where you are going, be careful over there. :D    JIM

Offline Dusty Miller

Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 09:39:23 PM »
I don't go to Mexico.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 06:21:31 AM »
IMO, there isn't ANYTHING in Mexico worth the risk of crossing the border, including some very good hunting, beautiful resorts, and bargains on all kinds of merchandise. There is just too much corruption and a lot of renegade criminal behavior. It only takes one incident to ruin your life forever. You have way less rights as a victim of crime or corruption in Mexico than you do in the U.S. Lots of folks go all the time and have no problems, but I say have all you want, it's not for me!
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 08:14:41 AM »
I have a good friend who is a US Border Patrol Agent in Laredo. Even he can't take a firearm into Mexico. Also if you have a nice vehicle, particularly a pick-up or SUV Don't cross the border with it because you'll be walking back. The federales will stop you and "FIND" a bag of dope in it. They will let you go for a $200  fine but keep your vehicle as evidence forever! Actually it will be sold before you walk back to the border.  Don't bother to ask the US to help because the wets don't care what they request, graft and corruption are a way of life down there
Dave375HH

Offline Pharley

Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 03:28:51 PM »
And stay away from Boystown and the donkey show, you'll come back itching.

Offline rockbilly

Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 04:52:36 PM »
Good advice, even the bit about boys town.

There must be a million simular stories about Mexico and firearms.  One close to me:

A friend joined a group of other people from all over the US for a motorhome trip through Copper Canyon.  I think there were ten-twelve motorhomes in the group.  One of the owners had a single barrel 16 gauge shotgun in his motorhome, a couple of others had various ammo but no firearms.

About seventy-five miles into Mexico they were stopped and searched by Police.  The guns and ammo were found.  My friend had neither, but since he was a part of the group he was charged too.  It ended up costing him over 25K to get out of Mexico with his motorhome and avoid jail.  Some of the other folks were not as lucky.  One individual had five .38s, for that they took the motorhome, fined him and he did almost two years in a Mexican jail.

You must also be very careful here in the USA while traveling with a handgun.  If you do much traveling, I recommend you obtain a copy of "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States."  You can get a copy by writing to:

Traveler's Guide
     P.O Box 2156
     Covington, Ky 41012

Or by calling (859) 647-5100, it will cost 12.95 including shipping and handling.  THat's cheap when you consider some of the fines you may be avoiding.

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 09:08:01 PM »
According to the NRA's website about Federal firearms regulations, this is Mexico's policy:
"Bringing firearms into Mexico is severely restricted. Mexico allows two sporting rifles or shotguns of an acceptable caliber and 50 rounds for each for hunting. First, a tourist permit must be obtained from the Mexican Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where the visitor resides. Mexican immigration officials will place a firearms stamp on this permit at the point of entry. A certificate of good conduct issued by the prospective hunter`s local police department, proof of citizenship, a passport, five passport size photos, a hunting services agreement with the Mexican Secretary of Urban Development and Ecology (issued by the Mexican Forestry and Wildlife office), and a military permit (issued by the Military Post and valid for only 90 days) are all required to be in the hunter`s possession while carrying the firearms. For additional information, contact the Mexican Embassy or Consular Office.

All firearms must be declared and registered with United States Customs on form 4457 or any other registration document available for the purpose of facilitating reentry into the United States with the same firearms."

Offline Bushwacker

Laredo, Nuevo Laredo
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 02:43:09 PM »
Take a gun into Mexico, get caught.....you won't be home for dinner!