Author Topic: Topper model 162  (Read 423 times)

Offline kevtn

• Trade Count: (0)
Topper model 162
« on: December 12, 2004, 05:45:34 PM »
I received this from my grandfather after he passed, all I know is that it KICKS. It has rifle sights, is it used for slug or buckshot. All it has is CYL with a P in a circle. It is probably 25 years old. Any help would be appreciated

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Topper model 162
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 01:42:18 AM »
Hey! I've seen the 162, and it is very much the same as the current Tracker II , except the 162 is a smooth bore, and the sights are finer. It is for shooting rifled slugs.
I know MSP RET would advise you to try the various slug configurations from Brenneke!
Go to cheaperthandirt.com and look up shotgun ammo from Rottweil. Try a couple boxes of the different 1oz and 1 1/4 oz slugs. But stay away from the 1 3/8 oz gold slug unles you only plan to shoot 2 or 3 rounds in one day. :eek:
You may find that they will hit  very low for your sights, in which case, IF you get good groups and want to stay with that slug, you may want to do some judicious filing of the front sight, or install a lower front sight to raise POI (point of impact). Come to think of it, I think your front sight is a bead type rifle sight, meaning you would probably want to install a lower one, rather than file.  The Tracker II has a flat, partridge type front sight, which lends itself to permanant adjustment with a file.

If you can find a Brenneke slug that hits for you , you will have one knockdown combination.

Next might be the Winchester or Federal  rifled slugs. These are very inexpensive, and may hit
closer to Point of Aim with only minor adjustmenrts  The Remington's may not shoot as well for lyou, they are a little undersized to work with Imp Cyl and Mod choke bore.

I believe the circle P mark is smply a proof or inspector's mark.

Good luck!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Topper model 162
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 02:25:03 AM »
Here is the link for the Brenneke slugs, produced by Dynamit-Nobel, not Rottwiel in this case.

EDIT: the actual link did not work. Just look around using the one below, if you like.

Also, Selier & Beloit offers  a very inexpensive rifled slug at www.cheaperthandirt.com
but I've never shot them.

When you shoot a number of slugs at the range, you will get some lead buildup in the bore. Be sure that you do some cleaning after a number of shots, and especially when you try out a different brand than previously shot. This will give the new brand slug a fresh start, and it will also give your shoulder a break! :P
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Topper model 162
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 04:04:24 AM »
:-D , Hi Kevtn (did you get my PM?), great gun from your grandfather, your going to love it. Offhand35 was correct, I am going to reccommend you try to get some Brennele-Rottwiel "MP" 12 gauge slugs, recoil is not bad at all, fairly inexpensive at about $4.19 a box plus tax, cheaper on-line if you can find them. Do not confuse these with the Brenneke KO slugs. they are different. The MP's out of my smoothbore 24" 12 gauge Handi shoots one large ragged hole at 50 yards. Others here seem to do well with the Remington Buckhammers but they are pricey and I am not sure but think they may shoot better out of rifled barrels. Also look into "Dixie" slugs. I am in the process of trying some now. they make them for both smoothbore and rifled barrels and they are strictly for penetration and made for large and even dangerous game, it is used on stuff like BIG hogs and even African big game, the dangerous stuff (never trust a soft lead foster style hollowpoint slug on BIG hogs...they will work and will work well, but there is that one time in close cover they won't!!!, perhaps a hardcast but not a soft lead slug). Anyway thats about it for now, lets us know how you made out, also if you need some Brenneke MP's to try out and can't find them let me know, perhaps we can work something out....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley