Author Topic: Butchers  (Read 705 times)

Offline Rummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Butchers
« on: November 29, 2004, 12:31:42 PM »
I have recently relocated to Newport News VA, and have found a tract of public land that I can hunt.  I don't have the room in/around my apartment to process one myself.  I have tried the internet and the yellow pages.  I have been unable to find anybody who can process a deer for me if I should get one.

ANybody know somebody anywhere Southeast of Richmond who can butcher deer?

Thanks,
John

Offline savageT

Re: Butchers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 11:32:55 AM »
Quote from: Rummer
I have recently relocated to Newport News VA, and have found a tract of public land that I can hunt.  I don't have the room in/around my apartment to process one myself.  I have tried the internet and the yellow pages.  I have been unable to find anybody who can process a deer for me if I should get one.

ANybody know somebody anywhere Southeast of Richmond who can butcher deer?

Thanks,
John

John,
Just an idea to try.....Go to your local supermarkets and ask to speak to the meatcutter on the premises.  I'm sure that most are capable and if they don't have the desire or aren't allowed to handle game meat then they could refer you to someone who does.  Also, if the store has a bulletin board for public notice post a wanted sign for deer processing.
The other idea is here in New York State there is a venison donation coalition <www.VenisonDonation.com> where meatpackers and sports clubs offer/donate their time and talents for free processing of any deer you wish to donate.
Contact your state DEC or local sports club to find out if you have meat processors they can recommend or a program for venison donation in  your county.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline w00kie98

Butchers
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 11:53:03 AM »
Heres another suggestion.

After you get back from checking it in, hang it in a tree and get the skinning done. If its cold enough, just cut the meat from the bone and put it in plastic bags. take them home and finish it up yourself. You dont have to grind any up unless you have your heart set on some burger. Cut up the steaks and loins, cube the rest. The cube meat makes awesome stew and b-b-q.

We have always worked up our own, but the 1st thing I learned from my Dad was, you make do with what ya got.
"The most dangerous thing in the world is a 2nd Lt. with a compass and a map"

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
Butchers
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 01:47:45 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it.

w00kie98, I got a big kick out of your signature line.  I am a Civillian employee of the Army and i am currently attending the Transportation Officer's Basic course and have class with the 2LT's every day.

John

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Butchers
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:26:21 PM »
I would think the best bet on finding someone to process your deer would be to ask at the local sporting goods stores (ie. gun stores, not wally world or chain stores) There should be someone in there that could help you.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
Butchers
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 03:11:03 AM »
Rummer:

I processed two pronghorn antelope in my hotel room in Wyoming this year.  I skinned and quartered the antelope near the site of the kill, put the quarters in plastic bags, put the plastic bags on ice in an ice chest, then processed the meat into meal sized packages in the hotel room.  If I can do this in my hotel room, I imagine you can do it in your apartment.  Then again, maybe you are really looking for the greater convenience of having someone else process the animals, and I can understand that.

Offline seb

Butchers
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 06:44:54 AM »
I am in Richmond and use a family-run business that processes your kill and packages it in meal size packages.  They are located in Amelia, VA (just west of the Richmond area on Rt 60).  Their business is called Mast Meats.  I don't have their phone number here at work, but if you are interested PM me and I will get it to you.  I have found that there are not many places anymore that will process deer.  Good luck.

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
Butchers
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 10:45:46 AM »
Seb,

Thanks for the tip.  I found mast meats on google and got their phone number.

John