Author Topic: .454 Casull-loads for heavy bullets?  (Read 770 times)

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
.454 Casull-loads for heavy bullets?
« on: August 10, 2003, 09:23:48 AM »
I'm having fun playing with my .454 Casull in my 12" Encore, but I'm having trouble finding load data on bullets over 300 gr, especially over 330 gr.  I'm using H110, HS-6, Accurate #9, and Unique.  So far I've been educated guessing on my heavy bullet loads with some input from sources, but does anyone know of any confirmed data for heavy bullet loads?  I'm understandably a little nervous about using loads that haven't been tested in other guns, and at known pressures and velocities, Steve's reloading pages have a few loads, but no pressures or velocities, and loadswap.com over at Beartooth carries some stuff, but is there anything more out there or am I hitting unpublished territory?  The bullets are all cast, all from Lloyd Smale at this point, love those bullets Lloyd!  Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Jim L.

• Trade Count: (0)
.454 Casull-loads for heavy bullets?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 06:13:29 AM »
Hodgdons annual manual has loads listed for cast up to 360gr LBT.  I would also stick with H110 only for loads above the 300gr. #9 can and will get a little erratic if its not got the room to work. Have fun.
Jim