Author Topic: do I have an odd s/w 29-4?  (Read 500 times)

Offline stevelong

• Trade Count: (0)
do I have an odd s/w 29-4?
« on: December 03, 2004, 08:00:16 AM »
Hello, I recently purchased a .44 magnum  revolver, used, at a gun show.   I have questions.

It is a Smith and Wesson model 29-4, s/n I think BDS1709 or BD81709.  I looked with a magnifying glass and S/8 could be either.
It has a 5" barrel, with full underlug. I didn't know ANY 29's had full lugs? Cylinder has NO flutes.  Cylinder release is the "old style" squarish, not bevelled at an angle. Finish seems "parkerized".  Grips are wood stocks with checkering and s/w insignia.  Sights are adjustable, rear only.

My blue book is 1997 version and does not list this gun.  A friend's new blue book does not show it.

Barrell side does not say "mountain gun" or anything like the 629 "mountain gun" does.

Dealer I bought it from USED says that the box is the right one,  it is blue plastic, and the label on the end of it has ink-pen-handwriting over some of the pertinent details.  Does Smith and Wesson ever do this?

My question is, is this a regular factory offering?  What year?
I emailed S/W but have no response from them.

Thanks very much, Steve Long.

Offline oso45-70

• Trade Count: (0)
HandGun General discussions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 05:51:21 PM »
Steve,
It looks like you may have one of the 629 classics, They were made in
1990, They were made in 5" 61/2" and 8 3/8". They came out with Hogue grips at first then went to the wood grips in about 1994 as i recall. The only thing i have to go on is that i had one in 1994 and kept it for quite a while, Shot great, Hope this helps...............Joe.............
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain