Author Topic: fixed Weaver or Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9  (Read 694 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
fixed Weaver or Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9
« on: December 04, 2004, 11:09:06 AM »
I like the idea of the Weaver in a fixed 4 or 6 power.  I haven't been changing the power setting on my current 3-9 scope.  Everyone seems to be a big fan of the Elite 3200.  For the price it looks great, but for $60-80 cheaper I could get a fixed power Weaver.  Problem is that I can't find any opinions on the Weaver.  No one that I know shoots with one and I am coming up short on internet opinions too.  

Want to put it on a .270 Handi Rifle for woods hunting.  $200 is my max.  The low dollar Leupolds don't compare to the Bushnell 3200, I looked.  I have not looked through the Weaver, would probably buy it sight unseen on the internet.  If anyone has some info then I would appreciate it.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 07:15:16 PM »
6x Weaver would do nicely, I had two different hunting acquaintances whose hunting rifles still wear them proudly. Would not opt for the 4X with a .270 because someday you may want to use all of that 400+ yard range and the 4X will fall way short at that distance. I have an Elite 3200 3x9 atop my Swedish mauser and like it very well. Better to have that 9X option with the .270 IMO.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 07:49:56 PM »
A GB sponser lists the 4X Leupold at $219.  I would skip a couple of lunches!  You might also check some to the auction sights for a used one.  Being a woods hunter myself, I would opt for the 4X.  6 might be a tad much for the close stuff.  I do have one which I have used but it has the heavy duplex reticle.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Arkie-06

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 03:53:14 AM »
bluebayou,  I've got the 6x Weaver on  30-06 and took a nice 6 point with it in thick brush, range was about 20 yards . The extra magnification at close range might take a little to get used to, but  once you do ,to me it is just about perfect for  any  range . Also at closer ranges you can really  put it in tight thru twigs and branches. The optics on the one i have are almost as good as the 6x Monarch, and  they do very well in low-light situations. They are a short scope, so if you mount it on a long action you might  want to think about some kind of extension rings to get it back far enough for comforatable eye relief.Mine is on a Ruger so i went with the Burris  Weaver to Ruger adapters with Millet extension rings and it works great.If you decide to go for theWeaver i think you will be happy for around  $120.00  they are a great bargin.  :D
Early to bed, Early to rise, Makes a man Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. :-)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 05:35:25 AM »
For me personally any/all fixed 6X scopes have a FOV that is too narrow for me to ever accept it for woods hunting. Out west where it is more open and shots under 100 yards are less likely maybe. But I won't do it for the thick woods hunting I do.

I shot a lot of metallic handgun silhouette in the '70s and '80s and often used 6X fixed scopes for it. Closest targets were at 25 meters and at times I really lost time in making darn sure I was on the right one. I could see two of the targets usually but seldom would they be close enough to see three and I had to carefully check each time to see which one I was aiming at.

I use variables and keep them set to their lowest power usually. I have 2-7 and 3-9 or 2.5-8 scopes on most of my hunting guns. All are set at 2.5-3X as I sit and wait for a deer and for sure if I'm walking and stalking it never goes higher.

As to Weaver's many seem happy with them. Once long ago when I first started using scopes in the late '50s and early '60s I did too. Then one day I realized far better scopes were out there. I moved to those better scopes and have seen no reason to go back. I've owned and looked thru a few of the newer Weaver scopes and to me at least like their old time counter parts they really just don't cut it in comparison to many others out there. Most all the guns at my house wear either a Bushnell or Leupold.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 12:44:31 PM »
I've got a Nikon Monarch 4x fixed on a 209x50 and I really like it.  I'm very impressed with it.  I believe that if you're willing to go about $19 higher(+shipping), you can get one here http://www.theopticzone.com/ through a site sponser.  I've hunted the early muzzleloader season with it in thick woods here in AL and I'm very impressed with it.  I don't think you can do better on a fixed 4x.

For me, 6x is a little to large for woods, but I generally prefer lower powers myself.

Hope this helps,

JCM

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 02:37:03 PM »
Hmm, good point on that FOV issue, Graybeard.  Looks like 27 feet @100 yards for the Weaver and the Monarch 4x's versus 33 feet for the Bushnell 3200 3-9.  I guess that I really should just hold my horses and save a few more bucks.  I was hoping to get by with a cheaper scope.  Leaning toward the Bushnell 3-9 now.  I know that all of you swear by the things.  Personally, all that I know is that they beat the VX-I hands down (like I said there is a $200 cap in effect here).

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 04:16:49 PM »
Don't over look the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7. It's a bit cheaper I think and is what my #1 deer rifle (my R700 LSS Mtn. Rifle in 7-08) wears. That's all the scope anyone needs for woods hunting and has an even wider FOV than the 3-9. Mine stays set on 3X and will unless I get a really long shot with time to change it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Squeeze

• Avid Poster
3200 Elite
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 09:51:00 AM »
I have a Bushnell 3200 2x7 on my BAR in .308 Win.  I am EXTREMELY pleased
with this scope.  I hunt the northern forests of Wisconsin, where shots can range
from 10 yards in a cedar swamp, to 250 yards across a "popple slashing".  Like
GB said, I keep it on 2x, and if the distance requires a closer view, I dial it up, if
I have the time.   With a fixed power, I'd sure miss the extra magnification on
those long shots, and at the bench.  For the field, I think I'd find 4x a bit too
much for those close in, fast moving, shots.  

As for Weavers, I purchased one V16, for my AR-15 Varminter.  I won't be buying
another Weaver.  No problems, but not nearly the optics quality that I expected for
that price point.  

For a .270 Win chambered rifle, I'd be looking seriously at a 3200 Elite, in either a
2x7 or 3x9.  The actual choice would depend on my expected use of the rifle, where
I would want a wider field of view, at low power, or a little higher power for the
occasional longer shot, or smaller target.  I wouldn't want to live on the difference
in these two scopes:grin:  IMHO, both would be a better choice for a .270 Win,
over a fixed powere scope.

Squeeze
Walk softly, and carry a 1911