Author Topic: best spotting scope for about two hundred  (Read 621 times)

Offline elvis presley

• Trade Count: (0)
best spotting scope for about two hundred
« on: December 06, 2004, 07:09:28 PM »
hey guys, this is my first visit here, yall got a really cool forum. ive learned a lot from just reading these old post. im looking for a spotting scope mostly for the range, 100 to 300 yards, can justify about 200 dollars to the wife. whats the best bang for the buck? will i be able to see .223 or 7.62 cal holes at 300 yards? what about burris scopes? im liking their prices. i'd appreciate any advice.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:34:25 PM »
Quite honestly there are NO good $200 spotting scopes. It is highly doubtful you'll see those bullet holes at 300 yards if that's all the money you spend. If you're shooting is confined to a 100 yard range they will do OK but a quality rifle scope will show you more than any of the $200 spotting scopes.

I've looked thru a ton of them folks had at ranges and generally speaking I can see the bullet holes better thru my rifle scope than their spotting scope. I use a B&L now Bushnell Elite 20-60x80MM and with it you can see those bullet holes at 300 yards. But it will set you back at least double what you're wanting to spend.

A spotting scope should be a once in a life time investment. Invest wisely.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 02:34:47 AM »
I have a Burris Landmark spotting scope 15X45X60mm it is under $200.00 and I can see .223 cal holes in my target at 200 yards. Works for me.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline savageT

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: best spotting scope for about two hundred
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 02:48:29 AM »
Quote from: elvis presley
hey guys, this is my first visit here, yall got a really cool forum. ive learned a lot from just reading these old post. im looking for a spotting scope mostly for the range, 100 to 300 yards, can justify about 200 dollars to the wife. whats the best bang for the buck? will i be able to see .223 or 7.62 cal holes at 300 yards? what about burris scopes? im liking their prices. i'd appreciate any advice.

Well Swival Hips.....It's true you ARE alive and well??????
Seriously, buddy, I've got one of those inexpensive spotting scopes and find my rifle scopes to do a much better job (Bushnell Trophy and Elite 3200).  Sorry to say you just can't buy a good $200 dollar scope like Graybeard has so apptly put it!  I've got mine turned down to minimum 10X and it's just OK at 100 yds.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.