Author Topic: Black powder silhouette rifle  (Read 661 times)

Offline hh4064

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Black powder silhouette rifle
« on: December 04, 2004, 04:55:19 PM »
I know the answer to my question so I will just make it a comment. I have a encore action. I could afford to have an after market black powder barrel made. I simply cant afford to spend 1500.00 on a rifle. I know the purists would chew me up and spit me out if I tried to bring something this contemporary to the range.
Good shooting guys

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 02:15:11 AM »
Yep, the rules don't allow an Encore for BPCR, but you could use it for High Power sil.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 07:01:53 AM »
Just a thought: You MIGHT be legal with an NEF 45-70 break action. Wasn't the Wesson and Herrington (sp?) action around back in them days? There is even a long-barreled 45-70 "Target Model" available for around $300 if you shop right. Dan Theodore will know the answer to this one.

Offline DanDeMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 10:35:16 AM »
hh4046,

Since this is a silhouette board I'll assume you want to try BPCR Silhouette.  I'll cut to the chase, don't waste you time, money and effort on putting a BPCR barrel on an Encore action.  It would be a complete waste as there are no sights that you could put on an Encore that will allow you to have a change to hit the animals.  You need a decent quality Soule rear sight to make it work with an appropriate front sight.  That means the action needs a tang that is drilled and tapped for a custom sight base to fit the Soule sight on.

If you want to try BPCR Silhouette see if you can get one of the shooters at your local match to let you shoot their rifle for a match to see if you are willing to make the commitment to learn how to cast bullets and load for BPCR matches.  If you are serious enough you can purchase a used Pedersoli 45-70 in a Sharps or Rolling Block with sights for under $1000.  I've seen them as cheap as $600 in excellent shape.
All the best,

Dan Theodore