Author Topic: Crimson Trace grips  (Read 742 times)

Offline Texgun

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Crimson Trace grips
« on: December 04, 2004, 06:24:31 PM »
I bought a pair of new Crimson Trace lg-201's today at a gun show. I found out right away that they wouldn't fit my ambi safetey 1911 so I put them on my Kimber Custom II.
It is very hard to activate the switch. I have to squeeze really hard with both hands or grip with my left hand first. This alows me to press it with my finger tips rather than my palm. This is very uncomfortable to me and not acceptable.
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the switch?
Thanks .
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
-- Walter Bagehot

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Crimson Trace grips
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 09:20:15 PM »
The reason they were for sale in a gun show was because they had a defective switch!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Texgun

• Avid Poster
Crimson Trace
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 02:46:15 AM »
Dusty,
 This guy at the gun show is also a store owner. He had two boxes of these grips for sale.
 Maybe I'll just take them to his store and see if he can fix them. I just thought if I could do it I could save the drive. It about 35 miles over there.
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
-- Walter Bagehot

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
try emailing Crimson Trace too.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 09:03:34 PM »
You might try emailing Crimson Trace company too.  They've been pretty respnsive to me.  I really like the CT grips for my Ruger SP101 - but its probably easier to put the switch into revolver grips.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Win50

Crimson Trace Grips
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 05:45:37 PM »
I've been trying to figure out a way to make that teenie weenie finger-tip button a little larger, or longer, or wider so I can just concentrate on the dot and not "making" the dot appear.  I love the grips, don't get me wrong but I'd love to make it more "automatically" activated either by the palm side or the finger side of my grip hand.  Even considered a shortened pop-sickle stick glued to the button..   :-D

Anyone retro something along this line...warrantys aside...  :wink:

They are nice though...especially to this old bird with bi-focals.
Win50
Beretta 96FS .40 w/CTC Laser Grips
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94
Rem 700 ADL .270 w/Leupold
Lookin for .357 wheel and Legacy

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Crimson Trace grips
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 10:07:37 PM »
Strange. I can't wrap my hand around the grip on mine without the laser coming on unless I do a bunch of double shuffling.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dragon31

• Avid Poster
Crimson Trace
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 03:20:15 AM »
I'm with Graybeard.  I bought a pair for my grand daughter's Ruger MK II, so she could shoot in a bowling pin league.  She's a left hand shooter, right eye dominate and even left handed she has no trouble activating the light.  Biggest problem is getting her to remember to turn it off completely before putting it in the case and heading home.  Of course that's what we Grand DADs are far.

Offline Win50

Crimson Trace Grips
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »
GB...what are you using them on and which model is it?   Maybe it's a little arther tweaking my finger joint...but what you say you get is what I want.

I can see why the granddaughter has no problem...look at the difference in grip exposure the LG 203 has vs the LG 302... The 203 would be what I could use more quickly (automatically) if it fit the Beretta and then I would have GB's trouble...(trouble keeping it OFF).  :wink:
Win50
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Crimson Trace grips
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 05:03:57 PM »
The one I'm using right now is the larger size for J-frame S&W. I have it on my 3" M60. But I've used them on several guns and same comment applied in all cases. Now I have used them ONLY on revolvers to date. Might be different on a semi, dunno.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Win50

Crimson Trace
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 04:04:33 AM »
That must be it, GB...
As I look at the CTC site, the SW J Frame models are on the front of the grip and taking the grip cannot help but depress the activator with the "middle" of the middle finger.  

On our Auto's (other than the 203 for the MK II), it is a slightly larger button on each side of the grip but not in the middle of the grip that the "tip" of the middle finger must find and depress it simultaneously as you squeeze the trigger... a double squeeze...it's not terribly cumbersome but I'd like to see a longer (up an down the grip) button like the other poster mentioned on his granddaughters Mark II model 203...  

Better yet, if the activators were larger, even the pressure from the palm side of your hand could assist in the depression of the button (plate) leaving the finger tip an "if you get to it, OK, if not, the dot's still there" issue...Less time thinking about getting to the button and more time getting down to bidness... fraction of a second here, fraction of a second there in the warp speed of a "situation".
Win50
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94

Offline ShootnStr8

• Contributor
Crimson Trace grips
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 04:50:06 PM »
TexGun,

The Crimson Trace grips are an outstanding product.  The laser is bright and holds a zero well.  I have 2 sets and one is on a 1911.  I find it practically impossible to grip the pistol without the laser being activated.  Very little pressure is needed.  If the gun shop can't/won't help you, I suspect Crimson Trace will.  They seem to be a quality outfit.

Blessings!

ShootnStr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal