Author Topic: An odd question; perhaps  (Read 866 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
An odd question; perhaps
« on: December 31, 2004, 01:40:29 PM »
Well, this may be a bit of an odd question, but this forum seems to imply that most subjects are fair game.

Here's my question;  Does anyone have first hand knowledge using portable electric generators.  After losing our electricity for about 60 hours in zero and subzero temperatures, I am in the market for a backup portable generator.  We finally gave up and went to a hotel for the second and thrid night.  Drained all the household plumbing and winterized the toilets and sink traps.  Luckily the temperature in the house only got down to 40 degrees and nothing got frozen.  Had to throw all the refrigerator contents out though.

Anyway, someone out there with first hand experience that can comment on the different choices of generators.

Thanks in advance,  John

Offline old06

• Contributor
An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 01:55:41 PM »
Maybe! what are you trying to do. Run the whole house? Just the heat, tv and referigator? Ive installed a few set up's. But need to know where you are going.
Psalm 16

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 08:29:39 PM »
John,
A 4 or 5kw generator should be enough to run the lights and refrigerator.  I would recommend a couple of kerosene heaters for heat.  If you have electric heat or a heatpump they will be too much of a load for a small generator.  Electric start would also be helpful.  Those small engines can get cranky in cold weather.  A few kerosene lamps will not only give you light but will add some heat to the house.
You might want to check with a local electrician on a safe hook-up for your house.
Best,
TnNuc

Offline grizzy57

• Avid Poster
An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 11:12:47 PM »
:D JR.
You have to use a transfer switch to keep the power from the generator from going back out the line and causing problems for anyone working on the power lines.I have a 6500 watt Dewalt that works great. BUT CHECK with
your power company!!!
                                            grizzy57 :lol:

Offline jrdudas

An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 11:55:54 AM »
Sorry, I should have included more info in my original post.

At a minimum I want to have enough power to run our refrigerator, our well pump, a couple of lights, and the fan on my wood stove.  We have a wood stove that is capable of heating most of the house, but only if I have a way to run its fan.  Without the fan the available heat output is cut by probably 60 - 70 percent.  

My research so far indicates that a generator that produces between 5kw and 7.5 kw should work well for our needs.  I have pretty much decided that I want a portable unit rather than one that is at a fixed location.  I also want one with electric start rather than recoil start and that seems to drive the price up significantly.  My most recent idea is to mount the unit on a heavy piece of plywood that is cut to the size of my garden cart.  Then I can keep everything in the barn and hoist it into the cart and move it when I need it.  

I will either install a transfer kit to plug in to, or turn off the main breaker from the power company (this should protect the power company workers) and backfeed through my dryer recepticle.  Then I can turn off the breakers that I don't want to use.

The only potential flaw I see in this plan is the possiblity of not being able to get the generator from the barn to the house when I need it.  Sometimes we get a lot of snow that could make that transfer difficult.  However, most of our power outages are because of ice storms or high winds rather than snow.

What do you think.

Thanks, John

Offline old06

• Contributor
An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 05:39:42 PM »
Is your well a very long distance or very deep if so you may not have the amps to run it with too small a unit and it may burn up the pump. i've done it both ways back feeding and disconnect by far the later is the best I picked up the stuff local for about 125.00 or so. About the snow well how about a shovel or a snow blower. I picked up a extra long cord I use a gas welder and have to pull it with my truck and we have lots of rain and it could be tricky at times on how close I get. I labeled the breakers on which ones to leave on and wich ones to shut off.
Psalm 16

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 01:58:09 AM »
jrdudas:  Get yourself a Generac.  Home Depot sells them.  Get either one of those, or something comparable.

These are self starting, self testing generators.  They get wired to the house and self test about once a month.  They come on automatically within 15 seconds of the power going off, and they can be regulated for how long the power must be out bewfore they turn on.  They are large enough to power your entire home, well, heat and all.  They run on propane gas and you will need to install a bottle or tie into your current system.  

These set-ups are becoming one of those things that new homes in the northeast are being built with - many contractors have them installed during construction, which lessens the cost but they are worth the convenience and comfort.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 06:44:02 AM »
I just want to add one more thing. Check your electrical code and with your power supplier because some places it is in the codes that you have to have a system that disconnects automaticaly from the electrical circuit. I know it is an extra expense but it protects the power workers and your generator system if the normal power comes back on.
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 10:19:47 AM »
FYI......If you had to spend money on a hotel room, and if anything was spoiled or ruined due to a power outage, you might be able to file a claim against them to get some of that money back.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline williamlayton

An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 11:58:36 PM »
You boys up there where it is cold is stronger than me, I woulda checked out fer a warmer spot years ago.
The generator is a great idea, though I will not agree to the thought of hauling it around when I need it. I think you will find it to be better in place than transportable.
If there is any industry around you, check with some of these boys and find the contractors that do/supply this service. The need to run these things on a regular basis is a good thought and having a regular maintenance check is a good idea also.
I like the idea of a dedicated, in place, wired for auto disconnect unit for safety and assurance of operation.
Down here, a lot of the boys use em as a separate unit and transportable but our needs are a little different than yours as the units have need to run a/c as well as the rest. 7-10KW will handle the whole house.
We are generally TOOOOO warm when we have the need fer em.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dali Llama

An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 01:25:26 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
You boys up there where it is cold is stronger than me, I woulda checked out fer a warmer spot years ago.
Dali Llama suggest that those in colder climates may opine that williamlayton should have "checked out" for a less hot and humid spot years ago. :x  :evil:  :twisted:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline williamlayton

An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 01:46:58 AM »
I like the hot and humid, an, well, If'n I could get the Hen to go along with it, I would find an even warmer location. Not to consider hell as an option though.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dali Llama

An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 08:42:09 AM »
I like the hot and humid, an, well, If'n I could get the Hen to go along with it, I would find an even warmer location. Not to consider hell as an option though.
Blessings
Dali Llama say there be numerous equatorial locales that would accommodate williamlayton's desires.  Dali say he wager that williamlayton do not refer to so-called "Hen" by same moniker to her face. :lol:  :lol:

Offline williamlayton

An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 10:24:42 PM »
OH yes, the Hen is OK by that monicker. She has been a goodun fer 43 years now. Kept me when she shoulda shot me.
That is a very good suggestion bout goin that far south but I can't get her that far away from tha kids.
Blessings                                                                   el
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dali Llama

An odd question; perhaps
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 01:25:46 AM »
OH yes, the Hen is OK by that monicker. She has been a goodun fer 43 years now. Kept me when she shoulda shot me.
Based upon demeanor observed hereabouts on occasion, Dali Llama say he understand. :-)