Author Topic: Buying scopes on Ebay  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Buying scopes on Ebay
« on: January 25, 2005, 04:39:20 AM »
I have been hearing a lot of complaints lately from people that have bought scopes from ebay.

As most people know, I usually recommend the Elite 4200s, Nikon Monarchs, and Zeiss Conquests.   I also recommend Jon at the OpticZone because he sells these scopes for the lowest prices just about anywhere.

As I said, a lot of people have told me about their problems with buying from ebay.  Specifically, although the scopes that they bought were represented as being "Brand New" they were, in fact, demos.  And in worse cases, they looked like they were used.  Personally, I don't expect ring marks on a "brand new" scope - to me,  it's used.

I have also heard, from the other end, of people buying scopes for just one season, or maybe even just one hunt, and then selling the scope as "brand new."  One person told me that he used Burris plastic inserts and "no one would ever know the difference."  Well, I guess he might be right, but the whole thing smacks.  I got off on him and told him that's not right.  I told him "Look, if the scope looks brand new, then that's fine, but at least be honest and up front with potential buyers and let them know that you used it for just one season - or one hunt, with plastic inserts with no scope marks."  He told me that if he did that, then he would lose at least 25% more money.  Where has our society gone to? :(

I'm sure that there are reputable and honest people on ebay, but to me it's not worth the risk.  

So, how many of you have purchased scopes from ebay?  What are your experiences?

Zachary

Offline VAhuntr

Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 05:19:49 AM »
I have had good success buying scopes on ebay(with the exception of 1 tansaction) and will continue to look there.  I ran in to one problem getting a scope shipped to me but that could happen with any transaction over the net/auction sites.  After contacting ebay and paypal with the problem my scope arrived very quickly and was new in the box.  I only buy from people with excellent feedback and from sellers that offer paypal buyer protection.  This lets you file a claim if you do not receive the item or if it is significantly different than it was desribed.

Having said that, the Optic Zone does haves some great prices and I will probably purchase my next scope from them.  I have watched several Nikon Monarch's and Bushnell Elite's sale for more on ebay than from the Optic Zone.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 05:36:29 AM »
I've never bought or sold an item on ebay, doubt I ever will. It's a place where you might get a super deal or you might get your britches legs rolled up. There are bargains and there are crooks. Folks sell stolen merchandise there just like fencing it anywhere. Folks misrepresent the items there.

In cases like Zach mentioned it's just plain dishonest to represent an item placed in use even once as new. Technically and legally too I think in many areas it's not correct to call and item new if it's been purchased by an individual even if not used. Call it unused and as new but not new technically if t's been sold in commerce once already.

Unlike Zach as site owner I cannot recommend one advertiser over another. That would be unethical of me. But I do think that if you're looking for NEW merchandise we have three advertisers on here who will give you some outstanding deals on optics and chances are good on any given optic one of them will be about as low in price as anyone out there. And you may rest assured you'll get what you order and will be treated fairly by all three of them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline armory414

• Contributor
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 08:04:09 AM »
That's one of the reasons I don't buy anything off of Ebay or any of the other auction sites.  Just too many people out there misrepresenting the stuff they're selling.  I need some parts for some old guns that I'm refurbishing.  But look at the terminology they put on some of the used gun parts--"excellent condition" basically means "it's full of rust and it might look okay if you sand blast the crap out of it and have it powder coated."

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 08:10:44 AM »
I have purchased five scopes on ebay. 2 nice leupold, 2 nice illuminated ones and one not so good 6x.  The 6x was under $25.00.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 10:15:27 AM »
I have purchased 2 scopes on Ebay: Bushnell Elite 3200 and Burris Fullfield II. If memory serves the Elite ran @$150 and the Burris almost the same. They were lightly used, nearly brand new, and advertized as such. Excellent scopes, excellent people selling them, all very satisfied on both ends.

As with any sight-unseen transaction, there is a risk involved. If you don't want to take that risk, stay away from Ebay. I would characterize that risk as being very small, considering the feedback ratings of the vast majority of sellers on Ebay. In return for the risk, there are sometimes reasonable bargains to be had for the discriminating buyer.

In dozens of transactions on Ebay and other internet auction sites, I have never dealt with anyone who was dishonest or wouldn't correct a mistake they've made. That said, I'm sure there are going to be a few bad apples in the bunch.

I personally stay away from sellers who don't try to give you a detailed assessment/description of their product, including pictures, up front. I also won't buy from those who are overly demanding or unreasonable about shipping, payment, etc., and of course any who have a questionable ratio of negative feedback.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline flyer05

• Trade Count: (1)
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 11:33:08 AM »
I miss the old E-bay days,it was a great place to buy stuff. Nowadays it's a sellers place. Some idiot will buy what you put on there. If it looks like a decent deal some yahoo will drive it up over market value at the last second. They ought to do like gunbroker and extend the auction if there's a bit in the last 15 mins.

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 01:16:24 PM »
I bought a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 off Ebay a year and half ago, and was satisfied with the scope. I saved about $100 from new. I watch there for scopes often, but 95% of the time they sell for more than I am willing to pay. Example, I am looking for a 2.5-8x to put on a new .30-06. A used VariX-III just sold for $325, compared to a new VX-III for $399, With most folks are throwing in a free set of rings and free shipping (on the new scope), and the VX-III is an upgraded scope.
Will

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 01:23:32 PM »
I've bought over a dozen scopes on ebay, and a bunch of other stuff everything has been received as represented, some NIB, some used, none used and abused....none have been disappointing, all have been excellent values. As has been said, do your homework and you'll have no issues with ebay. :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 05:21:17 PM »
About a year ago I bought a used Nikon Buckmaster 800 Laser Rangefinder off Ebay. The final bid was $99. At that time, $100 is all I really had to spend. I fI had wanted to get the same rangefinder BNIB, it would have cost me $360+, I was well described and sold by a reputable dealer. It has worked perfectly this year, and I could not be pleased more. I have actually thought about re-listing it b/c I got such a good deal. I think I could make at least a $100 dollars (meaning it would sell for $200+), but I cant bring myself to do it. Sometimes you just get lucky, and this time I did, the guy put it under a weird name/catagory, and i searched and searched, and luckily ran across it.

If you buy from reputable dealers, not just a randon person, but an actual Ebay dealer/store/owner guy/etc then I feel that is safer. I bought the rangefinder from ztradingpost and they are a very trustworthy company. Just choose your poison, and be smart about the whole thing.
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 05:50:26 PM »
I have mostly had good results buying on ebay.  I bought 3 scopes in the last year off ebay.  All were new in the box and advertised as such.  Was happy with all, but one scope, a S&W 4-18x42 had a loose ocular piece.  When you screwed it out to focus the reticle it became loose and wiggled around, moving the reticle with it.  The seller offered to return my money as it was the last one he had, but I let S&W warranty it for me.  I got a new scope from them and have been happy with it since.  It is like some have said.... do your research, know what you are bidding on and what you can get it for from a regular dealer.  I think the next scope I buy will be from Jon.
Luke 11:21

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 05:04:52 AM »
Who needs E-bay when there is Jon at the Optic Zone and SWFA. The only two companys any would ever need for optics.

Offline Gregory

Buying scopes on Ebay
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 11:25:54 AM »
I've purchased two Nikon 2X EER scopes from ebay for about $100  each.  Never had a problem.  I've sold TC barrels there, usually list them on the outdoor forums and if they don't move I move them to ebay.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline diggdug

re
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 06:44:32 AM »
I have good luck with e-bay. I bought a NIB Leupold premier for $670.00
I have also sold several scopes and have never had a complaint! I did once buy a Ziess from a dealer and he dissapeared with my money. Luckily I always use Paypal and my Cabela's credit card and they returned every sent of my money within days! I can't say enough about how well the folks at Cabela's Visa treated me. If I had used a money order I would have lost $570.00 ALWAYS USE A CREDIT CARD WHEN BUYING ON THE ENTERNET!!!!!! :shock:
Most people say I'm an idiot!