Author Topic: Great Plains pistol  (Read 813 times)

Offline Good time Charlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Great Plains pistol
« on: October 05, 2004, 11:41:57 AM »
I have great Plains pistol in .54 cal. I saw a .50 cal. Barrel for it at midsouth for $39. I ordered it so that I would have a second shot no matter which of my rifles I am using. UPS brought it this morning so I cleaned it up and took it out to shoot. With 40 grains of Goex three F powder and a PRB I was getting six inch groups at 20 yards. I had some 320 grain R.E.A.L. bullets For one of my rifles,so I tried them with the same 40 grains of powder. I get a inch and half group at 20 yards. If I knew how to do pictures I would post that target! I am happy as a dead pig in the sun shine with that barrel!
                                                Old Charlie

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Great Plains pistol
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 03:49:53 PM »
Charlie: Just ordered one in .54. What loads does yours like? Glad to hear you are happy with the .50 tube.

Offline Good time Charlie

• Avid Poster
Great Plains Pistol
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 04:11:01 PM »
With the .54 barrel I am shooting 40 grains of Goex 3f and a patched 530 round ball. It seems to like this better than the lee bullets. The .50 seems to like the bullets best.
                                  Old Charlie

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Great Plains pistol
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 11:38:05 AM »

This fifty shoots right along with the high grade pedersoli target pistols.  The power afforded by 40 grains of the various black powders and substitutes is plenty useful. I've avoided really heavy loads because of the thinness of the stock in key areas.  One poster said that he had split several stocks using the 50 grain maximum recommended for the 54 caliber and done so with ball and not the heavy bullets.

Mine groups well with ball or the 250 grain Lee REAL bullet

I've thought about setting it up with a .54 barrel but haven't been able to build much of a case for it.  I already have my most fun shooting half charges with the 50
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Great Plains pistol
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 01:02:36 PM »
Mec: Outstanding post and photos. Has anyone tried to use glass bedding to strengthen the Great Plains pistol stocks? Where do the stocks fail?

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Great Plains pistol
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 01:36:41 PM »
Yes as a matter of fact.  When I build a .50 from a CVA Kit I used birchwood casey bedding compound. Same thing with my kit made Lyman Plains rifle.  

I don't know if it really makes the things significantly stronger but, it made me feel better.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes