Author Topic: S&W Model 40EV  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Win50

• Trade Count: (0)
S&W Model 40EV
« on: November 04, 2004, 03:53:12 AM »
Was browsing in some area shops and had one owner show me this "semi-large" S&W .40.  Had a stainless slide and Glock style synth. frame etc.  The trigger was the safety (beginning to pull rocked a small piece of plastic up and behind the trigger hinge to move the safety off) similar to the Glock but obviously non-patent threatening.  

It was about $300.  It would appear to be more concealable than the Beretta 96 but was wondering what the field reports are on this model.  Do they hold up, too light for the usual OTC rounds (tough to control and re-sight etc)?  

In a used gun shop later in the day I found nearly the same thing, perhaps a Model 99 in .40 with 3 HiCap clips for a little more money.  Same questions...durability, reliability, concealability, safety.  

Are these too "cheap" to be good or too good to be true or just too good to pass up?

Would appreciate experiences from those who have/use them.  One dealer says S&W is getting "cheap", another says they're guaranteed for life, and it seems that I read someone on this forum was "finished" with S&W for good.  If above is true, then that might indicate that the new one would be less desirable than the older edition...or neither because of who made it.   I'm so confused  :?  :oops:

Help!
Win50
Beretta 96FS .40 w/CTC Laser Grips
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94
Rem 700 ADL .270 w/Leupold
Lookin for .357 wheel and Legacy

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
S&W Model 40EV
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 02:21:24 PM »
The S&W .40 EV is one of their lower cost pistols. There were some problems with the earlier ones, failures to eject & extract, but I think these were worked out in the newer versions. The "E"'s and "C"'s were supposed to be more reliable. New gun should be ok. The SW99 is basically a Walther. Never heard anything bad about them. For the same money would buy the used 99 assuming it is in good shape.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Win50

S&W Model 40 ?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 12:23:38 PM »
I called the "99" store back.  It's not a 99, he said it was an S&W 40 F.   Cannot find such a model on S&W's site.  Is this a discont. model?  Was it worth anything (when it was produced)?  This one did not show much wear but I didn't break it down either...

Suggestions?
 :?:
Win50
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94

Offline Win50

S&W 40 "P"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 04:51:06 AM »
OK, sorry...in the event he read the P as an F (it's a dark store.. :wink:
what are the experiences with THIS model (S&W 40P)?  Won't be able to get there until later this afternoon but would like to hear some yeas/neas if possible.
Thanks for your help.  :-)
Win50
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94

Offline hoplophile

S&W Sigma's
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 03:23:18 PM »
Win,

I posted a few weeks ago under S&W40VE (10/26/04) and gave my 2 cents about this pistol.

For what it's worth, since that time I've fired another 1000 rds + through my SW40V which is one of the mid-range of the earlier manufacture runs.

I can honestly say that it eats everything I put through it and only tends to pop a casing off the top of my head about once every two mags or so now.

After polishing the feed ramp and chamber mouth about a month ago, I've had zero feeding problems and am very pleased with it for both shootability and accuracy.

I have to admit that the original 10 rd mags it came with seemed to have a problem feeding the last round sometimes, but the newly available LEO hi-caps are great.

I have a soft spot for my 1911's, but except for the reduced caliber of the Smith, I don't have any adverse feelings about switching to the .40 for carry purposes. The double capacity along with weight and size reduction suit me fine.

There are some who look down on the Sigma's as a cheaper version of the Glock (true in most respects) but for the money you'll pay, I haven't seen a better pistol for my uses.

You might try to find a shop that will let you try it out to see how you like it. Some of them around here for instance, have their own ranges on premesis, and it works-out well for everyone that way.

Good luck in your choice.

HP

Offline Win50

S&W Model EV NOW F
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 05:36:21 AM »
Well, on further research, it IS an S&W "F" for sure.  Also found one on another auction for about the same money.

BUT, S&W's site shows no reference any longer to ever having made this model.  Was it a transition model?  If so, what were the problems with it...as in, how come they stopped making it?

Anyone have experience (good and bad) with this particular model?

It seems a good deal at $350 (with the 3 HC clips) but not if it's a dog and won't work in the crunch   :?
Win50
Win Mod 50 w/vent rib
Win Mod 94

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
S&W Model 40EV
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 03:40:25 PM »
There are all kinds of acc. listed at various sites for the 40F. Looked for one of my older gun annuals, but no luck. As I recall the original Sigma came in F (full size) and C (compact), but my memory is not what it once was. I think it is one of the original versions.
Romans 8:38,39