Author Topic: CCW Holders and Bow hunting  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Forstr

• Trade Count: (0)
CCW Holders and Bow hunting
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2004, 10:35:21 AM »
While it is illegal in AL to carry while bowhunting, I have a story that might throw a kink in the whole scenario: My best friend's dad, last year, was cited for carrying his sidearm while bowhunting. He politely took the citation down to the judge, who promptly had it rescinded. I'm not sure exactly how the law reads, but people with certain disabilities are allowed to carry a firearm while bowhunting, or other activities that might preclude others from carrying. This was in Shelby County, by the way, not that it matters.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2004, 12:23:11 PM »
In Michigan it is now legal to carry a handgun during bowseason IF you have a concealed weapon permit.  I love it!  I am going to take the class this Sat.  :D

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Savorino

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Michigan law
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2004, 06:43:35 PM »
I wouldn't want to be the first to test the law, as TOGO said above DNR rules supersede the CCW rules. You could win in the long run, but at what cost.
Sav
"and remember, always keep your stick on the ice".

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2004, 04:33:19 PM »
Better call the DNR office in your area.  I called the one in Marquette and they confirmed that it is legal per the DNR.  The rule book is, as usual, obsolete.

Long

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2004, 06:57:17 PM »
sav! I'am a leo in michigan ccw instructor, and friends with several in the dnr ! i would not give you bad info! instead of being kind of a naysayer find out then for yourself and just call them up jeesh! but when i pass on info i make sure it is the FACTS FIRST!  maybe iam having one of those days but my god some of us do know what the hell were talking about! sorry rate off

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2004, 10:23:08 AM »
Duputy, You are entirely correct.    I got my info from the MUCC program Michigan OutofDoors" as well as the Marquette office of the DNR.  I would say that this is knowing what I am talking about.  I also just took the ccw course yesterday and they confirmed it there. :grin:

Long

Offline Savorino

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
CCW
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2004, 08:11:48 PM »
Wasn't trying to say you guys were wrong, just that certain agencies look at things different. And sometimes you have to go a few rounds with the system to prove it. Just like transporting a firearm, Police agencies interpitted the law differently. Some were fine if cased in the trunk unloaded, some thought you had to have a CCW or hunting license to transport.
Sav
"and remember, always keep your stick on the ice".

Offline Crawdog

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2004, 04:48:33 PM »
I had sent the Minnesota DNR an e-mail inquiry about this subject last year.  I was actually surprised when I got a quick reply, which stated that if I were a legal permit holder, it was allowed to carry at all times.  When I sent a return reply stating that my understanding was the game laws took precedence, my reply inquiry went unacknowledged.  I took this to mean that what was stated in the first reply was true- legal with valid permit.  I still do not trust that answer however, so I don't think I know any more now than I did.

Offline flyer05

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2004, 03:00:13 PM »
Great, I didn't think I could in MI. I will check again and I hope I can. I sure like it when hunting in bear country.