Author Topic: Computer starts itself.....  (Read 1267 times)

Offline tucoblue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Computer starts itself.....
« on: November 27, 2004, 05:56:43 AM »
Sometimes I find the computer has turned itself on after I am SURE it has been shut down. It appears the computer is down at least two hours before it turns itself on. The monitor stays off. Does anyone have any idea how this can be possible?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 06:08:23 AM »
Could be your computer has been hijacked. Folks with adequate knowledge can turn you on and off remotely. Spyware and adware and such programs can be loaded onto it without your knowledge and often are when you visit sites. These can then control your computer and send out any and all information on it to others without your knowledge. I suspect you have one or more likely a bunch of such on yours.

If you don't already you need to add a good virus protection program like Norton to your computer and keep it up to date daily. Also add Spybot-Search and Destroy to your computer and keep it up to date regularly. It's freeware and you'll find it using a Google search.

To absolutely stop your computer from being turned on remotely use a switched power supply that filters out spikes. It helps protect your computer from power fluctuations and when you turn it off no one can remotely turn on your computer nor can any program that has found it's way into the computer. Just plug it into the wall and the computer into it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Robert

Also...some programs will do that..
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 06:28:18 AM »
Some versions of ICQ if you install the settings wrong when downloading....I had a pop-up blocker that would do that.  It will be a program that loads up on the bottom right toolbar near the clock. Try exiting these programs if you are not using them at the moment.  Don't worry, you will not delete them..when you restart the computer they will be back unless you delete them in 'ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS'  You can also go to 'Start'... 'Programs'...and re-open them from there.  Close one at a time and shut down you PC...see if that is the one....If it restarts...close another one.  It can be frustraying..especially if you use one phone line for phone and your computer.  If you have some icons down there that you cannot identify...they are probably junk that came with something else.  Ahhhh....do you use Kazaa?  Kazaa comes along with BULLGUARD and PEER POINTS MANAGER.  KAZAA will work WITHOUT these two hitch-hikers.  BULLGUARD is the KING of Pop-UPs..Kazza is almost as bad. PEER POINTS MANAGER is the KEY for thousands of advertisers to get cookies into YOUR COMPUTER...and YES..these programs WILL LOG YOU ON IF YOU DONT WANT TO.  Delete both of them.....Start, settings, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs....scroll down the list and remove.  After removing them..go through the list again and see if they are gone..do it again....DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING ELSE!.....unless it begins with the letters AOL...remove ALL of them too...Ha Ha.
....make it count

Offline tucoblue

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:44:45 PM »
Tried the "Spy-bot" thing and I may be out of trouble. If the problem continues I'll go with the suggestions by "Robert". Hopefully I'm good. Thanks for the help.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 03:23:51 PM »
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/
Go to this web site download the free trial of counterspy and run that. It found spyware on my computer that spybot & lavasoft didn't find.
then go out and buy norton's firewall and antivirus then run the live update and scan your computer you should be able to stop most people from getting in your computer.

If you are running windows xp go in and trun on the firewall the download sp2.