Author Topic: 1903 Springfeild  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Wilbe Lead

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
1903 Springfeild
« on: October 28, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »
How strong is a good 1903 springfield?
Anyone in the know of the bad 1903 serial number gun?
Have a line on one cheap that has been rechambered to 300 Win.
I will check the gun out closer tomorrow.It is in a pawnshop and they are parting with some of their shelve guns.
Was thinking of rebarrel to 35 Norm beenings someone has already opened up the bolt for a belted round.
The stock would have to go.Someone did a ugly sport job on a military stock.
Anyway what I am asking will a 1903 handle a 35 Norm round?
Already have a 30/338 on a 700 Rem action.Same pawnshop.250 with no scope.Easy 300 yard gun with 200gr. bullets.
Later
Wilbe Lead

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
1903 Springfeild
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 03:11:19 PM »
I used to shoot a 22 cal. springfield on the high school rifle team and I have shot and owned a few of the 30-06 chamberings, but to get one in 308 it appears that someone has already re-barreled that rifle, I would look it over real close to see what kind of job they did b-4 I parted with $$ as you are only going to get a good action to work with. :D    JIM

Offline Wilbe Lead

• Avid Poster
1903 Springfeild
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 06:17:14 PM »
Why would you have to rebarrel a 30/06 to ream to 300 Winchester?
Or is there something I am not seeing here?
Later
Wilbe Lead

Offline jhm

1903 Springfeild
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 04:23:48 AM »
I guess I need to always wear my glasses as I thought it said 308 my mistake, again I would have a qualified gunsmithlook it over to make the final decision but I am thinking it would be strong enough. :D    JIM

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
1903 Springfeild
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 10:37:52 AM »
I have an old Remington rifle marked 30-06. However it will only chamber a .308. I bought it at a yard sale several years ago. When I discovered the problem I took it to a gun smith. A quick peek with a scope told us that some long ago shooter had put in a 30-06 to .308 adapter for some reason. It works pretty good but as you would expect it has a lot of free bore to the rifling. I have been meaning to remove the adapter wit a broken shell puller but I have just never got around to it.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
1903 Springfeild
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 05:28:28 PM »
Just make sure that the '03 isn't one of the lower numbered receivers. Heat treating was different and the lower numbered receivers have been known to give out. Check on http://m1903.com/, and they will be able to tell you when the receivers were changed for your particular make of '03. If it's a Remington, there were none that lacked the heat treat process. IF it's a 03A3 your good to go as far as the heat treat. But check with a qualified gunsmith about your conversion ideas.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Wilbe Lead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 06:54:55 AM »
Thanks S.B.
I have been checking numbers on that page.
My Dad just gave a S&W 1917.
Got some history on it at 1903.com.
Still looking for more.
Later
Wilbe Lead

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
1903 Springfeild
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 07:03:46 AM »
W.L. you might get a listing of the below heat treat numbers by manufacturer from these people also,  http://www.odcmp.com/
AF&AM #294

Offline Judson

• Avid Poster
1903 Springfeild
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 02:02:48 PM »
Yes it would make a great .358 Norma!!!!!    Just check the # and make sure it is not the one with the bad temper.    Sorry but I am in the house and the serial # for the problem ones, (not that there is really much to that in reality) are in the gun shop.    I have built several .358 Normas on Springfield actions and they are no problem.    Go for it good cartridge choice and good action choice.    Use premium bullets and place your shots and you can flatten virtually any thing in the world.
There is no such thing as over kill!!!!  :-)

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
1903 Springfeild
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 02:47:57 PM »
Judson, actually there is quite a bit to do about this. Check with government records, they were heat treated quite differently and even the 30.06 can blow up in the lower seriel numbered guns. W.L. don't do something foolish, check this out before you proceed. Lower seriel numbered guns are now considered collector guns only, and to be safe, should not be shot. On second thought, no good gunsmith would attempt such a conversion on a lower numbered gun.
AF&AM #294

Offline Judson

• Avid Poster
1903 Springfeild
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 01:28:02 PM »
Like I said check the # for the heat treating process, by the way the # are different for the different manufactures    Springfield 800,000 or higher,   the double heat treated between 800,000 and 1,275,767 are best safety and for smoothness.   Remingtons as S.B. said are OK but not as smooth unless worked on.    Rock Island Springfields under 285,507 should also be left alone.    And forget any by L.C.Smith as though safe the workmanship is poor.   Good rule of thumb is do not use a 1903 with a # under 800,000  One other point which S.B. made and I left out is DO NOT cut up a rifle that is in original condition.   You can sell it to a collector and get at least enough to buy your barrel and a butcher job to strip for an action.  
    With nearly 5,000,000 Springfields made it is easy to stay away from the low # ones.    Like I said there is no problem with the Springfield for your project just stay over 800,000 or go with a Remington which will be well higher then the 800,000 # since they start in the 3,000,000 range.
    Sorry if I was not clear I should have said it is not hard to find a safe Springfield not that there is not much to this.
There is no such thing as over kill!!!!  :-)