Author Topic: who's shooting what slugs?  (Read 642 times)

Offline squidkid

• Trade Count: (0)
who's shooting what slugs?
« on: December 15, 2004, 09:27:26 AM »
does anyone have a specific slug that they are getting great results from their tracker II?
i understand each gun is diferent and each likes its own brand, but i am looking for a starting point.
i ran 8 rounds of brenneke short magnum(emarald) thru it a few hours ago just to see what kind of grouping and kick i would get from this gun i was just given.

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 11:48:19 AM »
Try Federal Hydra-Shok, Winchester Supreme Partition Gold and Remington Ultra Core-Lokt. These have worked the best accuracy wise in my two 20 ga. Tracker II's

A word of caution, I tried using up some regular Foster style slugs in my rifled barrel Tracker when I first purchased it and had one bad time getting the leading out of the rifling of the barrel. YMMV (your mileage may vary) :D

Offline squidkid

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 01:33:28 PM »
chainsaw,
i tried the winchester and remingtons out of my 870 rifled slug setup a month ago. although they both seemed to pattern equally well, they were quite brutal on the recoil. i can just imagine the discomfort shooting these hot loads with this light little tracker...........eeeeks :shock:

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 04:07:42 PM »
I  found the 12ga.  Winchester BRI 1 oz  (sabot) 3" slugs and the  Federal Classic Sabot
 1 oz, 2 3/4"  to be very accurate as well as quite tolerable in the recoil dept. These are actually the same slug  designed by BRI loaded by different companies. As far as cost goes, you can often find them to be pretty reasonable at www.cheaperthandirt.com or at www.wholesalehunter.com .
Sometimes someone lists some on www.gunbroker.com as well.

I got a doe with the Federal 2 3/4' slug, cat. # F127SS, after Thanksgiving. The hole both in and out was about the size of a silver dollar. The only reason she did not drop right then and there was  because I hit her at a dead run and sheer momentum carried her about 25 yds. before she piled up.

You should give these a try. I have a 50 yrd target showing 3 holes touching and a 100 yd target with a  1 1/2 " grp, open sights :D
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Flingarrows

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 04:40:57 PM »
im shooting lightfields in my ultra 20

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 02:29:56 AM »
Quote from: squidkid
chainsaw,
i tried the winchester and remingtons out of my 870 rifled slug setup a month ago. although they both seemed to pattern equally well, they were quite brutal on the recoil. i can just imagine the discomfort shooting these hot loads with this light little tracker...........eeeeks :shock:

Then the Federal Hydra-Shok is something that you should look into. Besides my Dad used to say "what doesn't kill ya must be good for ya." :)

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 07:28:11 AM »
I;ve been using the Remington buck hammers with good results.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline mike_h

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 11:40:49 PM »
My 20 guage Ultra Slug shoots the Lightfield Hybreds into 1 1/2" at 100 yards. They were the first ones I tried in it and Im happy with the results. May play arouind with some other brands later on just to see if any shoot better.

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 03:28:42 AM »
Haved had tight groups with both Lightfield hybred exp,s and winny platinum tips ,2-3" at 125yds 1-2" 50-75yds in 20ga ush. The lightfields are a little easier on the pocketbook.GL