Author Topic: Wheels  (Read 1529 times)

Offline grape shot

• Trade Count: (0)
Wheels
« on: December 11, 2004, 06:51:53 PM »
I changed my mind.  I was going to try to make naval carriage but think I will try a field carriage instead.  Got a 104 lb  30" long Hern barrel on the way and will order a set of Hanson 24" cannon wheels and try to do all the rest of the work myself.
Anyone had any dealings with hanson wheels or is there a better place to go for them.  Hanson is 161.15 per wheel plus shipping.

thanx for the tips on the molds and the welcomes from you guys.  This is one of those projects that I promised I would document from start to finish.  We will see how that goes.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 04:27:12 AM »
Hi Grapeshot.... that sounds a bit expensive for wheels.  I bought mine from R&P trading, 2 of the 30" wheels for around $180.00 delivered.  The axle holes could have been drilled a little more true, but all things considered not a bad wheel at all.  They were in Arizona as I recall, but now their website has them in Klamath Falls, Oregon.

http://www.rptrading.biz/WoodenHubWheels.html
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Lee1966

Wheels
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 04:46:38 AM »
Here is what I have.

http://www.windyhillwoods.com/wooden-wagon-wheels.html

http://www.puddleandpond.com/wagon_wheels/

http://www.customwagons.com/wagon_wheels.htm

And Evil Dog posted the other one I had too.

Hope this all helps, also check ebay under wagon wheels there was allot there last time I checked.

Also do a Google search under hand crafted wagon wheels and or just Wagon wheels, your gone to get a ton of hits.

Offline grape shot

I'm hooked
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 05:54:21 AM »
Thanx Evil and Lee.  You guys really got me hooked now.  I want to make my own wheels for next cannon.  See, I don't even have first barrel yet and am already looking to the next one.

I like the trading post Evil.  I was going to get 24" wheels but trading post has heavier 30" with more dish and wider rim.  I won't rush into it but they really look good.

I keep seeing those neat little wooden kegs.  Reminds me of when I used to work for my dad building houses.  100 pound wood kegs of nails.  We would break em up for firewood when empty.  If I only knew.

Lee, have you seen the grey-Star Howitzer?  250 lbs.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Wheels
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 07:40:42 AM »
Thanks Guys for those links to all the wheel dealers...I updated the Internet resource list with them. Just for fun when i posted theup dates the view count on that posting was 5947.  This is the most viewed post on Greybeards.

The Wooden Wagon Wheels site is dedicated to books on making your own wheels.  William Green Plans also have details on wheel making.

Offline Lee1966

Wheels
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 10:02:24 AM »
grape shot, Yes I have looked at there Howitzer, I am thinking of building a full size this next year. I got some very good sugestions from a member over at the 1919a4 website and on top of reading almost every post here that would deal with a full size cannon. I have a 4' x 8' general use trailer that is rated at 1200 pounds to haul a cannon of that size.

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Wheels
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 02:06:30 AM »
You guys may be looking for something a little more that what I was...

When I built my bowling ball mortar, I took four 3 inch pieces of the two inch diamater solid round stock and welded them to each corner of the I-beam I am using for a carriage.  Using this shaft as axles, I went to Wal-Mart and bought 4 Olympic weights - - which fit perfectly on the 2 inch shaft.  The ones I bought had Gold's Gym painted on them, but it is real easy to paint over them.  I tacked a flat washer on the ends of each shaft to keep the wheels from sliding off.  They are "spoked" and look pretty good, maybe not as good as the $180 wheels, but that sounds crazy expensive...

Hope this helps.

Online Double D

Wheels
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 02:40:39 AM »
Grape shot,  What scale is that cannon you are getting rom Hern?  thso wheels you are getting sound a but small!

Offline Calamity Jane

• Avid Poster
Wheels
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 09:10:11 AM »

They're not as fancy as "professionally made" wheels, but they look ok and they weren't that hard to make.

Ya kin see how I made 'em here:
http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/Cannon/cannon16.html
Calamity Jane
SASS 40978L

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Wheels
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 09:34:34 AM »
Calamity Jane,  

Now that you've broken in that very successful cannon, what's next on your project list? A companion piece with 2" or 3" or greater bore maybe?   :-)

We need more of your adventures in cannon making. Your wonderful descriptions and photos of construction and firing of "Cannon Number One" were great!

Offline Lee1966

Wheels
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 10:36:19 AM »
I can not get Hern's Iron works web site to come up.
Is it just me and my cable ISP server or what???????

http://www.hernironworks.com  

Calamity Jane I realy like your cannon. My hat is off to you.

Offline grape shot

wheel size
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 01:25:56 PM »
DD I hope the 30" wheels are not going to be to big.  The barrel is Hern English Swivel Gun  104 lbs -  30" long.
I think I'm going to have to break down and order some carriage plans from Dixie or somewhere I am just going by pictures and kentucky windage right now for my first one.

Calamity,  Great picture, that is fancy enough for me....Nice job.

Lee, I don't know what is up with Hern.  I haven't been able to get the site for a few days now.  Hope it is just the site because I don't have my barrel yet......

Online Double D

Wheels
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 04:13:35 PM »
Drop me an email and tell me what plans you are looking for?

Offline grape shot

invalid session
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 04:56:06 PM »
DD;

tried twice to send you e-mail but I don't think it went through.  First time it dumped me off the site and the second time I pushed send it came back as invalid session.   I didn't get copy of e-mail so I assume it didn't go to you.   I will try again later, might be a bug in program with the server upgrade........hope I turn out to be a better cannon builder than computer user.........

Online Double D

Wheels
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 05:43:28 PM »
Pretty sneaky of me isn't knowing that the Graybeard email function doesn't work....just send me a PM

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Wheels
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 04:17:03 AM »
I just found another wheel maker that should probably be listed in the resource guide. The company is Old West Wagon Wheels, Inc. and their web site is:

http://wagonwheelmaker.tripod.com/

They make wheels in sizes from 8" to 36" with rims up to 2" thick and pretty much any axel diameter you want and their prices are very good. I have a pair of 30" wheels coming for my King Howitzer and the delivered cost came to $139 per wheel with steel rims and axel bushings. I'll post a complete report when they show up in a couple of weeks.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Online Double D

Wheels
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 04:42:34 AM »
Just make sure you have your Pop up blocker on before you visit that sight...I'll get them added tonight.

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Wheels
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2004, 06:24:48 AM »
DD,

Sorry about that. I had meant to mention the popups on that site but forgot. Tripod is notorious for all of the popups it throws at you.

Another thing I should have mentioned is that Dave, the owner, is a teacher so the best time to call him is after school hours. Right now though, school is out for the holidays so he can be reached about any time. Both he and his wife are great to talk to and VERY helpful. Also, like some of the members here, he's heavy into SASS.

Russ
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Gripgrabber

• http://wagonwheelmaker.tripod.com
Wagon Wheels
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 09:40:50 PM »
Thanks Russ for the good words about our Web site "Old West Wagon Wheels" We are also on the web site for Windy Hills. My wife and I have been making Gun carts and Wagon wheels for Sass shooter all over the USA, and some in Norway too, can you believe that, Sass in Norway...
Anyway, please feel free to give us a call, or go to our web site for prices...Yup, sorry about them there dang Pop ups, I have no control over them, it's a free web page my wife made.
Anyway, we would be glad to fit anyone with some nice wheels, and thanks for any business too.
We are down with the flu right now too, UGH, same thing happened last year at Christmas. But, we will be up and at the wheel making by Friday again. Russ, those wheels of yer's are coming out great. again, thanks for sharing our web page. Dave

http://wagonwheelmaker.tripod.com

[/img]
OLD WEST WAGON WHEELS INC.