Author Topic: Well you wanted a range report  (Read 704 times)

Offline single shot shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Well you wanted a range report
« on: December 18, 2004, 12:08:56 PM »
went and shot my 20" 12 ga pardner today that i had rem chokes installed in. shot at 25 yards with a ported  turkey choke and put 26 pellets of low brass #6's  in a 1 1/2" circle. shot a few clays with the improved cylinder and it would dust them. the full choke shot almost as good  as the turkey tube.  this was my own little creation and i am VERY pleased with it.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 02:29:44 PM »
O Great single shot shooter Now I have another project to put on the back burner :grin:

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 06:15:52 PM »
:grin:  :grin:  it is a real shooter, cant wait to take her out hunting. the extended ported turkey tube looks real nice on it too.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 02:47:19 AM »
I'll bet it carries great and gets on target quick as well . I'm doing a shortened barrel project now myself. I think mine is just going to be a smooth bore slug gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 08:14:34 AM »
markus,
  Itis great for moving targets and will bust clays great, cant wait for some rabbit or quail  :twisted: . I had planned on rifle sights on this one to shoot slugs too but it's just too nice to change. i'm working on a .410 slug/buckshot gun from a rossi .410 cant wait to see how it turns out  :grin:

Offline je265

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 11:27:09 AM »
Hello to everyone here. I just found this forum a couple of weeks ago and have been reading alot and learning many things. Single Shot Shooter, I see that you are thinking of a 410 for slugs/buckshot. I have a NEF that I created from scratch that I will share the idea. I had a 22" youth barrel drilled and tapped at the factory for a scope base, I know their literature says they don't drill & tap standard shotgun barrels but they will do a 410 because there is so much steel in the barrel. I added a monte carlo synthetic rear stock and synthetic forend and then had a gunsmith chop off the choke to leave me with a cyl bore. I added a 4x leupold shotgun scope and shoot 3" brenekee slugs into 1" groups at 25 yds. I haven't been to the outdoor range to try it past 25 yds, I have access to a 25 yd indoor range where I work. I will try and learn how to post a picture as I am proud of this gun and I think others will like to see it. Later

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 11:51:23 AM »
JE that sounds like an intresting little gun. What is it's purpose? I'd love to see what it looks like. A few years back a local gun shop had a tamer with a red dot on it.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline je265

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 12:29:31 PM »
Hello Markus,
I built up the 410 as a coyote gun because many times I have coyotes hang up at 40-75 yds. when I call them in. I usually hunt with a 12 ga with #2 shot which is really a 30-40 yd gun at best. I hunt mostly small farms and would be afraid with a centerfire round because of houses and livestock. Massachusetts has some dumb laws in that you can hunt with a 30-06 for coyotes during the day but you can't hunt with slugs or buckshot outside of deer season. Hevi-shot just made a new coyote load that is size "T" shot which would be killer for coyotes but anything larger than #2 shot is against the law. I'm hoping for 2"-3" groups at 50 or 75 yds with slugs and if I get that I may take it coyote hunting out of state. The advantage to the 410 over a rifle is in between calling stands I could slip in some bird shot and shoot a rabbit or grouse if they are in season if I came accross one.
Regards,
Jim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 01:24:51 PM »
:D , Welcome aboard JE265 and Merry CHRISTmas to you, that .410 sounds like a handy little rig. Access to a 25 yard range where you work huh? Is it, could it be, might you work in uniform occasionally?, and if so that would make a handy cruiser gun for the night shift ....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley