Author Topic: Fixed 6X versus 3 X 9?  (Read 648 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Fixed 6X versus 3 X 9?
« on: December 19, 2004, 08:59:03 AM »
I have a CZ 550 in 30-06 that I am considering putting a fixed 6X power scope on.  Normally I use 3 X 9's on my rifles, but in this case I want light weight, and the simple reliability of a fixed scope as this rifle kicks and I am short on money this year.

I had a 4 year old BSA airgun scope on it until recently.  The BSA was a 4X with an adjustable bell for clarity.  The point of aim would change when the bell was adjusted, yet it saw some good use, had clear optics, and still worked when I put it on another air rifle.  My complaint was that it was hard for me to see the holes with the 4X, and the 6X seems like it will work for general hunting and hole punching at 100 yards.

As to cost, I have had good luck with cheap Simmons scopes on guns that don't kick, like 22 rimfire, and .17 HMR, etc.  I would not put one of those cheaper optics on my 30-06 as I think it would go bad in a year.  

I am considering a Simmons Pro-hunter, or a Pine Ridge, both in 6X.  I have heard complaints on the Pine Ridge in this forum, and am not surprised as they are priced low.  Would I be making a mistake with these two, or should I get the more expensive Nikon Pro-staff 3 X 9?  

Again, money is short right now, and the 30-06 is really a hunting rifle for deer, pigs, etc. And I am not looking for fine long distance close groups, otherwise I would be better off looking at a 4 X 12 in the $300.00 plus range.

Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Fixed 6X versus 3 X 9?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 09:10:27 AM »
I'd go for the Nikon Prostaff at The Optic Zone for $135. A 6x scope doesn't have a very big field of view in comparison to a good 3-9x set on 3x. And then there's the new Mueller 2-7x32 Multi-shot at The Optic Zone, also.

Nikon Prostaff
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Arkie-06

• Trade Count: (0)
Fixed 6X versus 3 X 9?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 09:28:28 AM »
Chris D. There seems to be alot more fixed power scopes out there  these days , i use them more than the varibles i own and really like them, having the same sight picture  and theres not a whole lot  that can go wrong with them as far as being dependable. Some choices you might consider are the 6x Burris Fullifield for about $200.00 bucks. For $50.00 dollars more  you can get a  Nikon Monarch 6x, and imho it is the best optics for the money you can get. You would have to check around but i believe Graf and Sons used to sell the Sightron 6x which have heard alot that they are a good scope as well. The 6x Weaver K-series is also imho a good scope for the money  having pretty darn good lowlight performance for about $120.00, but it is short so mounting it could be somewhat  difficult on your CZ rifle. If you wanted to have a larger field of view a 4x  Nikon Buckmaster  is good un.  Also the Weaver Grand -Slam 4.75 x40  is supposed to be a very good one also, but  it is a very short scope also. Since Leupold is coming out with there new fixed power line you might be able to grab up a bargin on one of there current models at a discount, the new ones are supposed to come out somtime next year. I would like to see Bushnell come out with a fixed power  scope, they would probably sell a ton of them. Take Care. :D
Early to bed, Early to rise, Makes a man Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. :-)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Fixed 6X versus 3 X 9?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 03:24:43 PM »
I would think the highest fixed powder for deer hunting in wooded terrain would be the 4x.  To me the 6x is way too much for deer 50 yds and less which could be quite common.  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
Fixed 6X versus 3 X 9?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 05:33:35 AM »
I know this idea might provoke controversy but the Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44 is available at the opticzone for about $119.00.  Once upon a time it was a $200 scope.  It has taken some hits from folk mostly because Simmons moved the manufacturing plant from Japan to the Phillipines.  If you have ever seen an optics plant you will realize that they are pretty much the same world wide.  I am not sure that the complaints I have read about haven't been exaggerated.  Every assembly line will produce the occasional clinker, even Leupold.  Simmons has a pretty good warranty so if the sight is defective, just replace it.  Anyway, if money is tight and if you get a good one, you will be well served until you can spend more.