Author Topic: New to Cap and Ball  (Read 699 times)

Offline indian*dave

• Trade Count: (0)
New to Cap and Ball
« on: February 08, 2005, 04:09:09 PM »
I have shot muzzle loaders for a number of years but am thinking of adding a cap and ball revolver to my arsenal.  I am debating between a 36 cal.  Navy  and  1858 Remington 44 cal.   Which one of these would be the better choice for a newbie?  Also what kind of quality are the Italy made revolvers?  Would it be better to buy a cheaper gun and then work into a higher  price gun?  I am open to suggestions and need some advice.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
New to Cap and Ball
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 05:24:36 PM »
Dave, you'll probably get other opinions on this, but I'd say you are better off getting a higher quality revolver to start out with. Nothing is more discouraging than having to deal with problems while you are trying to learn to shoot a new gun. I'd suggest a Uberti to start with, as they tend to work well right out of the box. They're nicely finished too. Might just as well own a pretty gun as a ugly one.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
New to Cap and Ball
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 12:54:24 AM »
Get the .36 Navy Colt. It is the best handling of all the cap and ball pistols, and it looks great.
Go ahead and get the Italian gun, it is a good way to start. I have  Pietta, bought under the Traditions label at Bass Pro Shop. Most of Cabelas guns are also Pietta.
It is best if you can try the gun in person to make sure it locks up tight. When you cock it, the cylinder is well aligned with the hammer, and there is no wiggle in the cylinder.
I have had two springs break. I found out this is a problem with Italian guns, and it happens with Uberti also.
I just called the Traditions 800 number and they sent me new springs for free, no questions asked. I installed them myself, it was not hard.
The only bullet proof cap and ball is the Ruger. It is expensive and is not a replica, it just "looks like" the Civil War guns, but it has adjustable sights etc., and so is not authentic. With a replica, like the .36 Navy, you have one of the most beautiful guns ever made with the case hardened receiver, the walnut grips, and the brass trim. Much better looking than the Ruger.
But you will not break a spring on a Ruger, and they are very accurate.
Listen it is a real hassle cleaning a cap and ball pistol. There are lots of these guns sitting around rusting in the bottome drawer, having been shot one time.
Some guys get into the cleaning and shoot all the time, who knows how it will strike you?
 Start off with an inexpensive Italian gun and see how it goes.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline R.M.

New to Cap and Ball
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 06:00:33 AM »
Dave
You're going to have to make your own mind up on this as there's as many opinions as there are posters. As I've owned them all, they each have their good and bad points. The Italian guns are good value for the dollar, but you also get what you pay for. The Italian guns seem to be made of lower quality materials. The chamber diameter will be much smaller than barrel diameter. Why, nobody seems to have an answer to this. Small parts and springs seem to break regularly. But, like I said, you get good bang for your dollar with the Italian guns.
On the other hand, you have the Ruger Old Army. Not a reproduction of anything other than the Blackhawk, but, good old American workmanship. The cylinder/bore relationship is as it should be, it's built like a tank, and the cost isn't that bad considering it'll outlast an Italian reproduction many times over.

That's my take on it.
R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
New to Cap and Ball
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 11:20:57 AM »
For the beginner, I used to suggest the Colt 1851 or 1861 Navy, in .36 caliber.
Currently, I lean more toward the Remington 1858 Army in .44 caliber for the beginner.
Here's why:
The .36 calibers I own produce better accuracy with a ball .380 inch in diameter. Unfortunately, neither Speer or Hornady produce that ball size. They produce only the .375 inch ball for the .36 cap and ball and leave it at that.
Yet, those two companies produce three different sized balls for the .44 caliber: 451, .454 and .457 inch. Contrary to what the black books say, I do not suggest using the .451 inch ball. Use the .454 inch instead.
The larger balls, in my experience, produce better accuracy. Plus, they seal better in the chamber and discourage ball movement during heavy recoil --- the gun's not yours   :)

The Remington has a better sight picture than the Colt, which encourages hits. The Colt design is better balanced but has only a notch in the hammer for a rear sight and a brass bead for a front sight.
The Remington has fewer parts but doesn't strip down as easily as the Colt.

More than anything, you should be asking whether you have the time and discipline to clean a cap and ball revolver after each use. You cannot just let it sit with the idea of getting to it next week. In very humid areas, such as New Orleans or Seattle, you'll likely find rust spots on it the day after shooting.

As for maker, I'd suggest an Uberti, followed by Pietta. If price is no object, and you want a Colt, get a 2nd generation Colt. This series is noted for its workmanship; the Colt Signature series is of lesser quality so I'd suggest you get an Uberti over a Colt Signature Series.
There was a time when Pietta made clunkers but for the past few years its guns have increased markedly in quality. Not up there with Uberti but some I've seen are very near Uberti and half the price.
The Colts and Ubertis tend to have deeper rifling, which helps to shrug off fouling. The Pietta rifling is shallower and accuracy will suffer as the fouling builds.
If it were me, I'd go quality the first time --- Uberti or 2nd generation Colt --- and take good care of it.
Search this website for posts by me concering how to properly use the cap and ball revolver and other topics. You'll find a lot of information in there that is helpful to a beginner.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."