Author Topic: Portable Blind Results  (Read 880 times)

Offline Rupe/PA

• Trade Count: (0)
Portable Blind Results
« on: December 13, 2004, 05:37:11 AM »
Some time ago there was a thread on portable blinds.  I believe Graybeard and others were going to use a blind for the first time.  It would be interesting to hear your first impressions and any tesults.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Portable Blind Results
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 12:19:34 PM »
I have used the "Doghouse" blind for a couple of years.  For rifle it worked great as far as easy set up and very ample room, even for 2 people. Also even with several days/nites of rain no leaks. The black interior works great to help conceal you (as long as you keep away from the windows).  Negatives . . .   Kind of a pain to fold up especially if you only do it once a year. Also, it will does not work well with a bow  . . . unless you sit on a very low chair.  With the taper of the roof you would have to sit way back and then your drawing arm will hit the back of the blind causing movement of the blind.  Out of 5 stars I would rate it a 4 for rifle and a 2 for bow.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline JPSaxMan

Portable Blind Results
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 01:42:02 PM »
Well, I'd like to get a blind in the future as well (probably a good choice for open terrain next to woods; like a field.) The Bighouse Blind (or so according to the folks @ Ameristep) is big enough for standing bow shots. Sounds like a bowhunters blind to me. That would be my choice for a blind. Take care!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline FOsteology

Portable Blind Results
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 08:59:02 AM »
A guide I've been doing several hunts with the past few months has been using some portable blinds he bought from WalMart. Not sure of the brand, but they work great! I was skeptical at first, but they seem to blend in well with the surroundings and don't spook the game. I've taken several hogs and a couple does.
Protect your hunting freedoms....Join the NRA

Offline robin-hood-90

Portable Blind Results
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 09:29:42 AM »
I have a double bull blind that I shot a doe 50 yards away with a muzzleloader last year, yesterday I set in it with my bow and had three does, two at fifty yards and one at 45 yards, but they were out of my range with my bow. I had a doghouse blind that I shot my first deer out of, a doe at 125 yards. The doghouse worked but the double bull has much more room.

Offline Brac2005

Portable Blind Results
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 01:48:41 AM »
I tried the Doghouse from Ameristep for the first time this year.  I've only used it twice, but it seems to work well.  First time I was in it I killed a little 6 point buck at about 60 yards.  2nd time I got 2 does at about 40 yards.  They seem to see the blind, but it doesn't really alarm them as long as you stay still in it.  It's nice to be inside if it's raining, but is not completely water tight unless you seal the seams.  All in all, I'm impressed with it.  It is somewhat difficult to fold back up until you get the hang of it, but it's very easy to set up, as it basically unfolds itself.

Offline firstshot

• Avid Poster
Portable Blind Results
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 01:12:05 PM »
I got an Ameristep Brickhouse blind for my birthday this year.  It is constructed and sets up like a Double Bull blind but is a lot less expensive.

• 60" square x 67" tall • Seven zippered windows • Edge ReLeaf • Durashell • ShadowGuard • Total Scent Control • Heavy cast aluminum hubs • Window tie-downs • Shoot-through mesh • Gear Pockets • Floor-to-floor fiber poles • Bow Holder • Stakes and high-wind tie-downs • Backpack carrying case.

More than enough room for two people.  Nice to be able to get out of the weather.  Had two yearling doe come within 15Yds, but chose to pass on them.  Also had about 25 turkeys at the same range.  Missed a turkey with bow.  They have logged out a bunch of our lease this year and even though I havn't got to hunt in it very much yet, it is definitely going to come in handy.

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun !!

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Portable Blind Results
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 10:49:48 AM »
My oldest son bought a little "pop up" tent-type ground blind called "HUNTER'S VIEW" for me from (I think) Wal-Mart for a little over $100 this year... and then, when he saw how nice it was, he went BACK to "Wally World" and bought another one for himself.

It's a neat little package that has 2 different sizes of zippered "windows" on each of it's four sides.  Both of the "windows" on each side are solid cloth & you must unzip the "window" in order to see out of it, but you can unzip them as little or as much as yiou wish and in any combination you wish for viewing and/or shooting purposes.

The smaller zippered "window" is inside the circumference of the larger zippered "window"... and so you can completely or only partially unzip either "window" or you can totally unzipper the big one and have as large a field of fire (and observation) as you could possibly want... or you can partially or completely unzip the smaller one and have limited, but adequate view... although not as great a total observation & shooting capability as if you unzip the much larger "window".

The pop-up tent/blind, itself, has an extremely pliable spring steel frame that twists around & folds back down fairly easily if you brace the folded up part between your legs while you twist the pliable spring steel frame down into a small oval when you're taking it down.

The pliable spring steel frame pops up and forms the tent/blind body with two "dome" brackets made up of four spring-loaded pieces that "telescope" into one another to form & support the rounded "dome" of the blind.  The "dome" is about 5-foot high at it's center.  The two brackets (made up of four spring-loaded pieces) "cross" each other in an "X" at the top of the dome of the "tent".  They hold up and round out the dome of the small tent/blind which is adequate for two rifle or shotgun hunters.

There are also four small ropes, one attached to each corner of the tent.  The manufacturer furnishes small, steel "stakes" with the tent.  They attach to the small ropes and are then pushed into the ground.  They are adequate if the wind isn't blowing real hard.  You can also use larger stakes if the furnished ones aren't adequate... or you could tie each of the ropes to trees if you wished.

The tent is easy to put up... just remove it from it's oval back-pack (with double carrying straps) and let it "go"... and step back!  It will "pop" itself into shape in a split second.  Then all you have to do is insert the 8 telescoping, springloaded pieces (four in each of the two roof supports) and put them into the appropriate places in the tent's roof-body... and push the small stakes into the ground and tie off the light ropes at each corner of the pop up "tent" to the stakes and you're ready to sit down inside the ground-blind on a foldable camp chair you brought with you.  It's a pretty slick deal, but the foldable camp chair doesn't go with the "package", so make sure you buy one.

To take it down, you simply reverse the above procedure.  It's not hard to take down once you remember what you must do.

I used it several days during this year's deer camp and left it up overnight... and I really liked it.  It is supposed to be "water resistant"... which tells me it might keep you relatively dry in a light rain, but maybe NOT in a heavy rain.  However, since it didn't rain while I was in it, I'm not sure about it's "water resistant" qualities... but it's a neat little ground blind that weighs about 12 lbs... and it folds up rather easily into a sturdy camo'd "back-pak" that is complete with a pair of carrying (shoulder) straps.

I do believe it would keep the wind off you if you shut all but one of the 4 main openings ("windows") and left only one open on one side of the blind so that there wasn't a "through draft".  That could really be helpful if it was pretty cold.  It would surely be better than sitting out in the open.  

But it has no "floor", so some wind could get in under the edge the windward side of the blind... but if they made it adequate for all of these things, then it would cease to be very "portable".  As it is, it works fine... and is a lot better than leaning against a tree trunk out in the open.

What I like about it is that while it's light, it doesn't seem "fragile"... and the zippers on the "windows" work smoothly & easily with one hand while you're holding your rifle or shotgun in the other hand... another nice "plus".  And, as long as you keep the "window" behind you shut... you're sitting in relative darkness and it would be hard to see even if you fidged around a bit... something most of us do... and something that often alerts a deer and causes him to run in the other direction.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson