Author Topic: Barrel Program  (Read 877 times)

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Barrel Program
« on: December 22, 2004, 02:42:58 AM »
Whats the real world  turn around time on the barrel program?  I want to get a 12 guage barrel for my wifes NEF 28 gauge.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Barrel Program
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 02:59:22 AM »
It can be as little a 4 weeks for an easy and common change like that. I had my new barrel (.357 Mag, about 6-8 months ago) in just under 4 weeks from the day it left my house to the day it was delivered!!!. Send it USPS priority with delivery confirmation. It's only an additional $.45!!. They get it in about 2-3 days and you know EXACTLY when they received it, date AND time!). Go for it and Merry CHRISTmas!!!....<><....:grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Barrel Program
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 04:53:56 AM »
Thanks MSP and Merry Christmas to you too! :grin:

I just want to be sure to send it in in enough time to have it back by turkey season in the spring.  I know it's a long time away but I don't want to send it in yet as rabbit season is about to get into full swing and I love that 28 gauge.

After luggin my BPS through the thick brush for the last couple of years I decided I wanted a lighter and smaller alternative.  I remembered the barrel program and that sounds like the fast and inexpensive answer.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Barrel Program
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 05:44:41 AM »
They are great turkey guns Critter. I have a 24" 12 gauge with screw in chokes that I had drilled and tapped and a H&R Scope Rail installed. With a good extra full turkey choke and my Red Dot there is not a Turkey around that will walk away if he offers a shot!!! Some here like the 10 gauges but this 12 works just GREAT. During deer season I put either a modified or improved cylinder choke tube in it and it a dead certain deer killer also!!!. Best of Luck and Merry CHRISTmas to you....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Barrel Program
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 04:24:43 AM »
MSP,
What kind of a red dot scope did you put on yours.  I've heard nightmare stories of people breaking them on shotguns.  I don't have a lot of extra money to throw around now that I have a family so getting it right the first time would be helpful.  Thanks!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
Barrel Program
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 01:31:33 AM »
hey critter , iam glad u like the 28 ga ,iam itchin real bad to get one,why???who knows , beside i want it hahahah

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Barrel Program
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 04:02:03 AM »
Critter, I was never very certain on Red Dots with batteries, always worried about them failing me when I needed it most. when the buck of a lifetime was standing in the open about 40-50 yards away. I tried and liked a couple of old Weaver Quick Points and they seemed to work great but did require ambient light to work well. I did have a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 on my Bull barreled .223 and it has worked flawlessly, I did a little research on Red Dots and when I found a Simmons 30 mm Red Dot for sale for $28.00 I bought it. I first put it on my .22 Mag Sportster coyote gun, it has a 4" dot but I was able to shoot 1" or less at 100 yards from a bench. I later got a Millett 1" Red Dot with a 3" dot and put that on my .22 Mag and replaced the scope on my slug shotgun with the Simmons (an unconditional 1 year guarentee on the Simmons), since then it has fired many Federal, Winchester, Remington, Brenneke-Rottwiel and recently some devastatingly powerful "Dixie Express" 740 grain 3" slugs with no ill effects. Since I have purchased my Simmons 3 other hunting buddies who have tried it liked it so much they have purchased the same Red Dot. 2 buddies in Maine for coyote hunting and my neighbor across the street from me here at home. For $28.00 bucks and a true hunting sight It works extremely well, although for strict and  precise target work you would still do better with a high power scope with fine crosshairs. The literature with the scope refers to 40 hours of battery life (Lithium watch battery, $2.95 from Radio Shack or any drug store!) I have left the power on for a week at a time and just turned the brightness control up to the higher levels and still shot it at the range. One friend has a spare battery in the plastic "blister pack"  duct taped to the side of his Sportster synthetic stock, he's good to go for a couple of years!!! I bought mine on-line and am pretty sure they are still $28.00. If you interested I'll do a little research and let you know where I got mine, it may have been "Wholesale Hunter" or something like that, good luck, try it you might like it, know I did....<><.... :grin:

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Barrel Program
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 07:00:15 AM »
I would appreciate it if you could find out where you got that. $28.00 sounds like a good price to try one out at.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Barrel Program
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 08:04:16 AM »
Try this link, this is the Red Dot I got and so did my buddies after they shot it,
it's still $28.00....<><.... :grin:  

www.wholesalehunter.com/product/simmons/simmdes/SimmonsRedDotScopes.htm

One thing I forgot to mention, with this Red Dot and using the standard or Ultra H&R scope rail you must file out the slot in the side of the scope mounting bracket to be about 1/8" longer or you must file an addittional slot in the scope rail, either is an easy fix. After doing it both ways I would suggest filing an additional cross slot in the rail. If you do not make one of these adjustments the Red Dot will not fit on the H&R scope rail, I have spoken to Simmons regarding this matter and they may change it in the future by having a longer slot in the mounting rail. It's an easy adjustment and takes about 2 minutes. If you do decide to get it and are confused when looking at the attachment just reach out to me and I will contact you by phone and walk you through the process....<><.... :grin: